Wheel has play when wheel held at 3.00 and 9.00

Having followed white90's excellent guide to replacing the front bearings, I still have a little play

When I grab the tyre at 3.oo and 9.00 and give it a wiggle, the wheel has a little latteral movement approx 1- 2mm

but when I grab the wheel at 12.00 and 6.00 and wiggle, it is rock solid.

I have re checked overtightened and re torqued the hub nuts but still there is some sideways play.

(not sure if wheel was solid when grabbed at 12.00 and 6.00 before I changed the bearings, but the movement is the same as before when held at 3.00 and 9.00)

No doubt I replaced the wrong bearings.

thanks for any help

Seth

it's handy to have a helper wiggle the wheel while you peer at everything. Should be pretty easy to spot.

If you can't see the movement or play, sometimes you can feel it as the 2 parts move in relation to each other :ph34r:

Are you saying that you can move the whole wheel sideways 1-2mm in line with the axle, or that it can be rocked 1-2mm? If the whole thing can be moved 1-2mm in line with the axle when pulled at 9 and 3, but is solid at 12 and 6 then it suggests that the wheel bearing is still too loose. If the wheel can be rocked (i.e the front comes towards you and the back goes away at the same time and vice versa) when pulled/pushed at 9 and 3, then I would be looking at the Track Rod Ends- easiest to check with a helper who should be able to see the movement between the wheel and steering shafts when you rock the wheel at 9 and 3.

Cheers people

the movement is if you push the wheel edge towards the engine and then back ie at right angles to the vehicle, rather than movement in line with the vehicle ie towards the front bumper and back bumper.

I will get my not so happy helper (the missus) to give me a hand this week end and have a look at the track rod ends

cheers again

Seth

It was probably Les Henson's post, not White90s. credit where credit's due and all that.

See if the movement disappears when the foot brake is held on - if it does, it's in the bearing. if not, look at the track rod end or the swivel pins.

edit - i should stop trying to do too many things at once.

erm that last post doesnt make any sense, its backwards.

if the bearings got play it will dissapear when you brake as the caliper will hold the hub tightly

if the track rod end has play it will not dissapear when you brake as the caliper etc all moves on the swivel and therefore is affected by the track rod end...

Missed out vital bit on my original post sry...

"when brake is applied" I have no movement 12.00 6.00 but 3.00 to 9.00 I can still rock it (i.e the front comes towards you and the back goes away at the same time and vice versa). (cheers Milemaker)

From the v helpful posts i am getting it's the track rod ends sigh :rolleyes:

Sounds like the top swivel housing bearing has worn to me. Is your steering a bit vague at times & tends to wander adhoc?

Adrian

As you may have guessed this is my first landy and I have had it about a month (so complete newb) so its hard to say... what I can say its not sharp like the works car but doesnt seam to drift anywhere when driven

• 3 weeks later...

<_< I will check most of the below---

1)Track Rod Ends-

2)Lower Steering Joints

3) Drop Arm Ball Joint

4)Swivel Housing Bearing

5)Steering Damper ??????

All these could have a play in it. This will test your patience but cumbersome and irritating if you have just one care at home ;) Good luck.. I had a similar problem and the culprit was the Drop Arm plus Steering damper.....