Spraying Hammerite - electrostatically

Guest diesel_jim

Must be like powder coating, where they "charge" the paint with a positive charge and it attracts to the item being painted.

shame it's hammerite though.... :(

IIRC elecrostatic charging for painting is quite often used industrially to improve coverage and reduce wastage (more paint sticks to the surface). Seems like a nice idea - shame they don't have more colours yet.....

I looked at this - and thought how good it would be for painting mesh! Figured I'd wait for one of you lot to buy one and say if it's any good before I rush out & get one though! ;)

Si

It's used by joinery firms for spraying windows/doors etc, it works WELL.... but I suspect the charge used is slightly higher than that produced by the hammerite toy.... but you never know :)

It did look a bit slow, yes 4 times faster than a brush, just maybe not me with a brush :D

I looked at this - and thought how good it would be for painting mesh! Figured I'd wait for one of you lot to buy one and say if it's any good before I rush out & get one though! ;)

Si

What do you mean your waiting one of us to buy one. We're all waiting eagerly for you to lead the way and make one.

Just done a quick search and found this

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/sames-t...3892-55685.html

Though I get the feeling it may comply with the say "If you have to ask the price then you can't afford it"

Hammerite have been rather cleaver and annoying by making it require their own special areosls :angry: You can't blame them for it I suppose but its one good reason why I'm not going to even think about buying one of theirs. I'm sure there are others though that will buy the paint for it at getting on for twice the price of normal hammerite.

What do you mean your waiting one of us to buy one. We're all waiting eagerly for you to lead the way and make one.

Can't deny having thought about it! I'll add it to my list of questionable things to build when I retire! (only 25 years to wait!)

Si

<_< Hammerite normally hardens and simply pops up after some months on rusty materials... I prefare coal tars to hammerite.... I think under most of the deffenders or LRs there are similar protectives like coal tar... :unsure:

Bought one today from B&Q. The sprayer sells at £39.99 and the paint is £13.99 a can, which will suposidly do 12m of railings. Ive bought it to paint my large double gates, will hopefully get it done today and leave my feedback on it later.