Really bad handling... again

Mean Green

OK so the bad handling of the 1991 RRC is back!

It wanders all over the road and is very uncomfortable to drive- with constant adjustment needed to keep it in a straight line!

Recently, it has had - replacement PAS box, new shocks, Polybushed all round. Tyres pressures are fine and the tyres have been swapped round, so I dont think it is a tyre issue.

Tracking has been suggested and I will get that check out today.

Any thing else I should check?

You hand/eye co-ordination?

:unsure:

Andy

www.landroverheaven.com

:P

damn Cheek!!

I had it in today getting the LPG certified and tuned, even the guy from the tunign company said it was scary to drive!! But couldnt shed any light onto a cause!

It has been a bit dodgy since I last took it off-road.... wonder if I could have bent the track rod?

Looks like Saturday's job!

Did you re-bush the back end? What about the A-frame & ball joint?

Is the suspension lifted? If so castor correciton may be needed.

Have you checked swivel preload?

That's me out of ideas!

Bish ,

The A-Frame ball joint was not changed. But all other bushes were replaced.

It does not have a lift, but is on HD springs.

Not checked the swivel pre-loads, but I plan to have a good look at the swivels and bearings at the weekend.

Bish ,

The A-Frame ball joint was not changed. But all other bushes were replaced.

It does not have a lift, but is on HD springs.

Not checked the swivel pre-loads, but I plan to have a good look at the swivels and bearings at the weekend.

I had this problem on my disco and it could be:

-Tyre balancing or badly bent wheels

-Panhard rod bushings(My case !!!) this happened two times

-Bent track rod or drag link (happened alos twice: bent it on rocks) very easy to straighten make sure you weld some steel corners to it to add some strength as they bend very easy and this will save alingments after off roads.

-Steering Damper in case you have it relocated...(if it was not relolcated appropriately)

Does it wander at all speeds or a particular speed...when decreasing or increasing speed

Hope this helps

Swivel bearing preload or panhard bushes.

You said all bushes were replaced. If this includes the panhard bushes, the bolts must be tightened when the vehicle is sitting at normal road height. If tightened while jacked up, the bushes don't last.

• 3 months later...

How clean are the backs of your wheels? Even a small lump of mud will put them out of balance.

To check the panhard rod bushes, rock the steering hard while watching the bonnet. If the bonnet looks like it is swaying from side to side then I would suggest they are worn.

If you replace the bushes use polybushes as they are much easier to fit and don't forget to replace the nuts bolts and washers as they can wear too.

SG

Did you re-bush the back end? What about the A-frame & ball joint?

Is the suspension lifted? If so castor correciton may be needed.

Have you checked swivel preload?

That's me out of ideas!

Maybe he will listen to you 'cause I don't seem to be getting the message through :rolleyes:

The only other thing I can think of, and don't take this the wrong way Greg, you did get the springs the right way round and in matched pairs? :ph34r:

Maybe he will listen to you 'cause I don't seem to be getting the message through :rolleyes:

The only other thing I can think of, and don't take this the wrong way Greg, you did get the springs the right way round and in matched pairs? :ph34r:

How do.

Niall, the handling on mine is now cured. It all stemmed from the PAS box, it was slackened off slightly and everything is almost tickety boo. It is still a little wandery, but that is all due to the PAS box... and it is acceptable.

It all stemmed from the PAS box, it was slackened off slightly and everything is almost tickety boo. It is still a little wandery, but that is all due to the PAS box... and it is acceptable.

That's a new one on me Greg, I would have thought you would have heard a clunck going from side to side.

I still think you should do the A frame :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
That's a new one on me Greg, I would have thought you would have heard a clunck going from side to side.

I still think you should do the A frame :ph34r:

Mine was really scary :o , and I had the A frame BJ replaced, rebushed all over with Deflex bushes, and had Britpart yellows and ES9000's fitted.

It was better, but not cured. I then fitted a known good 3 bolt box, and adjusted it.

Better but not fixed. So I fitted 2 new swivels with new bearings and now it is nearly like a normal car to drive. I also fitte a new steering damper but that made on noticeable improvement to the wander.

I now need cranked rear trailing arms and castor correction up front, and I think that will have it spot on. I cannot afford those oitems now though, so will put up with only being able to drive at 80 on the motorway, and getting punted about in X winds... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in agreement wiv Niall, the 'A' frame is going to need doing on a vehicle that age.

I know it's a pig of a job, having done it before, so this time round I paid a local garage who I trust to do it. £60 labout, I supplied the parts. Much tighter back end & handling! Ooo-Er!