Bang! its caught fire!

80INCH

Today me and dad were returning from our lock-up a half hours drive away, were accelerating.. (not that hard) up to around 60 and there was a big bang/pop from the engine bay, a loss of power and 3 more bang/pops. Then smoke started so enter the cabin from every part of the bulkhead. We pulled over, I jumped out and looked underneath and the whole loom was in flames.. BIG flames. Managed to disconnect the battery as i thought it was shorting out but.. no that wasn't it.. the terminal cables were cool.

Called 999 and the firemen came pretty quickly, put out the flames and suggested the carb had backfired, set light to the airfilter, ignited the fuel in the fuel filter, exploded the glass filter bowl... need I say more!

SO>> DO ANY OF YOU CHAPS HAVE A LOOM FOR A 1983 110 V8?

Your telling me! The thought was going through my mind at the time... seeing cars go up in flames on police camera action so many times... lucky there was no sound deadening felt left on the bonnet.. i think it would of done if there had been.

Series one pressed back into service for the time being..

Autosparks should be able to sell you a new loom for not too much money. If you're that way inclined, the wiring in a standard vehicle is pretty basic to do yourself - but that assumes you enjoy electrics and could make a decent job of it.

After I set fire to my 110s entire charging/starting wiring I made it up myself on the sitting room floor one evening. If you can make out the ends its not bad to do and if you have a terrier lock it up before you start as they enjoy helping with wires ;)

Will :)

Mabye I could remake it myself... get some wire and heat shrink wrap from maplins... food for thought guys thank you!

Its not been on the road for a few years.. used to be a very fast 110, putting most cars to shame. The plan was to sell it; so I fixed it up, got it mot'd and taxed.. now i'll repair this minor problem and try again..

is that extinguisher powder in the photo? If so clean the area well...very well, powder is a nasty corrosive

no we didn't have one of those!.. well i do but in the everyday landy. Its soot!