Big Problem

I let the tit from down the raod drive the defender. He drove it with the hand break on and probably went 50 or over. I can only assume that it is no longer anygood. I can put the hand break on and sometimes it will hold the car to a stall, other positions I can drive with it on for a bit.

What I need to know is what i need to replace. Sorry for the blunt post but I have to get to coventry on monday which is about 130miles away for me and I can't have the car not working now. The cable when the break is on seems quite tight.

If you could also link me to parts I need on paddocks I would be very greatful, I would think about it myself but I simply don't have time now and can't be without transport.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure its the rod type here:

http://www.paddockspares.com/sp/category/D...o_LA935629.html

Would just new shoes be okay?

I would try adjusting the hand break before you go buying new parts.

If you go under your 90 and look at the the hand break drum. On the front side there is a half inch square adjuster that you kind wind in and out. If you wind it in with the hand break off untill it grips the drum then back out a couple of turns and it should be perfect.

When you wind it, becuase of the shape inside every half turn it will be tighter and every other half turn it will be slacker. So dont panic when you tirn it half a turn one way and its too much and then half a turn the other and its too little, keep going untill the seasy side is right.

I hope that makes sense. Maybe somone else could explain if you didnt understand, or ask me to clarify it again.. :-S

If he is paying then defo get the xbrake :lol: not having a parking brake won't stop you going to coventry though... if its that bad just wind the adjuster off til its non functional and leave it in gear when you park til you get it fixed, my original handbrake needed adjusting/cleaning so often I got fed up and never used it til MOT time...

Mike

charging him for an x-brake is unfair, IMHO - how would you feel if he did the same to you?

some new shoes and an hour or so will see the problem fixed. if you really want an x-brake i think it'd be fair to make up the difference yourself.

Like others have said, you don't need the handbrake to drive somewhere - i don't use the handbrake half the time it is working! :)

I was the "guy down the road" once....

I pal turned up at a moto x meeting in his series 111, being 18 and never driven a Landie I blagged a drive round with him in the passenger seat...

On coming back into the gravel car park in front of the rest of our crowd I grabed the hand brake for a handbrake turn....

Well. I didn't know.... handbrakes on propshafts...????

db..

western says 47 Nm, thanks.

extracted from the Defender workshop manual :D

I just do mine up tight as possible as without the Difflock prop nut tool, it's virtually impossible to get a socket/torque wrench on them.

Oh yeah. Even though the rubber is probably almost useless now I've managed to tighten up the handbrake a bit so thats improved now until I can get round to doing an X-Brake.