switch inspiration

hi all. well i did a search but didnt turn anything up....maybe me being thick ( anyone that knows me will now be shouting i told you so )..

anyway. i need some help on the inspiration front really. i have a set of roof lights to wire up as well as incab winch controls ( ready for winch going in ). i dont really have the funds to put a mud pod ontop of the dash at the moment as we are trying to sell our house and the money i used to have is going in to decorating :blink:

so looking for inspiration on where to mount switches on a defender dash or anywhere realy....

so where have you got yours fitted.....any idea's / pics would be a massive help <_<

Here is my dash, All my spot and driving lights are in the centre unter the screen, and my fan control, interior light, hazards are on the right of the steering colomn.

The centre light switches are from left to right, front spots, front fog, rear spots, front main beam, side lights.

post-7320-1210793511_thumb.jpg

post-7320-1210793526_thumb.jpg

post-7320-1210793544_thumb.jpg

I have my in-cab winch controls mounted in the blanking plate above the three switches to the left of the steering column (under the instrument binacle). They are well within reach and all I used was a simple mom-off-mom switch that I picked up from Mr Bowyer for my old Range Rover.

As for other switches... Do you have a cubby box or centre seat? If you've got a cubby, you could make up a little pod that fits to it. That way, all your wiring can be tucked underneath and run along the chassis rail and up under the seat box...

Denviks, I would suggest putting some switches where the cup holders go in a cubby box.

If you dont have a cubby box but have a centre seat that is little used, you could just bend some plate and mount switches on a frame that sits on the transmission tunnel where the cup holders WOULD be ie. in between the centre passengers legs.

I think that would look pretty cool, and be unobtrusive, yet still be reachable when needed.

Martin

I may have the answer.... A roll of drums and the clould of dry ice fades away to reveal...

OptionA1a.jpg

Soon to be launched by me. A centre switch panel that will take three switches. We can also supply the illuminated and non-illuminated on/off switches as illustrated. Switch apertures will also take the standard LR/Mini switches used by your right knee cap. Likewise, the switches we sell will also fit into the hazard switch panel. This size of switch was fitted to lots of BL cars. Demon Tweeks sells a range of switches that will also fit in the panel.

Switches will also fit into the 'mystery' aperture on the underside of the dash binnacle.

As you can see, the idea is to provide panels and a common switch size that you can mix and match to increase scope for adding 'stuff' to your dash.

Centre Panel is reversible so you can locate the 12v skt and RWW control to the left or right to suit yourself.

We're also offering a panel with three 12v marine grade sockets and another panel to follow featuring 2 x holes for 12v sockets and a 3 x switch apertures.

They're not on the website yet but we have the panels and switches in stock. Panels come in black powder coat only. NO shiny stuff here.

Switch Panel £7.75

Switches: £4.50

Mods. Feel free to delete if this is considered spam but the the idea behind the panel was to provide a solution for exactly this question.

OptionA1.jpg

OptionA2.jpg

OptionA3.jpg

OptionC1.jpg

629dd5b6.jpg

Guest diesel_jim
Switches will also fit into the 'mystery' aperture on the underside of the dash binnacle.

Nice looking stuff that Kev. i've done a similar thing with a sheet of 2mm ali plate, made a template around the old center panel and drilled it for switches and "stuff".

that "mystery" aperture was for the V8 110's with twin tanks, as a space for the tank changeover switch (the V8's used an electric fuel solenoid to change tanks, as opposed to the diesels that used the mechanical tap 'tween the drivers legs.)

Well I have this plus switches in the pocket (made a box out of alu which nicely slips in)

post-76-1210864919_thumb.jpg

and will fit soon (...) this (now in black)...er,once I'll have all the wiring/plumbing sorted out for the VDO gauges :o

post-76-1210865064_thumb.jpg

^_^