P38a Special Vehicles?

Turbocharger

A mate's Dad has just bought a P38a, 4.0 manual in white(!) and it has a Special Vehicles plate under the bonnet. The police deny it was theirs and there's no suspicious holes in the roof, headlining or dashboard. The reg no is not the original and is non-transferrable.

£5 has been duly sent to DVLA and a letter to LR asking about the history, but any clues while we're waiting?

A vehicle doesn't have to be very "special" to go through SV - just have anything at all that isn't line standard. For example the MoD Defenders here are std civilian spec Defenders but they are "SV" simply because they have a military towing pintle and electrics - nowt very "special" about that!

You could find that a customer simply ordered one of the SV "enhancements" for that Range Rover - I believe they offered a range of things from different paint colours, to interior bits and pieces like different leather seats, DVDs etc etc, on Range Rovers, not sure if they still do that on the current model (but I expect so).

Wasn't there one in the film "Who Dares Wins"? I still have that on video somewhere, must watch it again some time. I seem to remember the SAS boss man was carted around in one.

Lewis Collins charging through the embassy was completely cool and the whole 15 min shoot out scene is one of my favourite bits of film ever :)

Something like that factory fitted tank guard you referred to earlier would have been put on at SV so that would have been enough to get the magic plate riveted to the bodywork somewhere.

Wasn't there one in the film "Who Dares Wins"? I still have that on video somewhere, must watch it again some time. I seem to remember the SAS boss man was carted around in one.

Lewis Collins charging through the embassy was completely cool and the whole 15 min shoot out scene is one of my favourite bits of film ever :)

Something like that factory fitted tank guard you referred to earlier would have been put on at SV so that would have been enough to get the magic plate riveted to the bodywork somewhere.

mmm but i think 71 was before the SV department was even there

Re SAS Range Rovers, the last ones they had where Classics. Very late build SE's.

Mine is the only one to still have all the paperwork from day 1, but appears to have suffered from questionable serviceing.

The P38 in question could be alot of things. As a general (and it is general) rule of thumb expect Police ones to be cloth interior with an uprated electrical system.

This one sounds odd being on a non-transferable plate. My guess is ex-Govt embassy vehicle or similar.

Easiest way to see where its been is to run the VIN through DDW and see where the warranty claims where done. PM me the last six if you want me to have a look.

Whats DDW?

All its warranty info. Basically gives details of build date, reg date, supplying dealer, build spec, trim level, colour, lock codes, etc etc.

In this case it would be handy as it also shows all the warranty claims on a vehicle and where they where carried out.