Seat belt mounts

sotal

Can people post some pics of how they mount their seatbelts in a soft top,

I've taken my roof off for summer but need to sort the seat belts out.

I currently have inertia belts which are mounted at 4 points:

the two usual points either side of the seat

One shoulder mount above the shoulder on the hard top

And the inertia reel itself which is mounted on the tub.

Obviously it's just the shoulder mount causing problems.

I want the cheapest option which is MOTable and relatively safe (or a safe as a series can be)

I could use harnesses but I'm not sure where the back point would mount

I have seen military bars which mount onto the cappings either side and give a bar for a static belt to mount to but they don't look suitable for my inertia belts.

I bought a big chunky roll bar with the idea to use that, which I still might, but the roll bar actually seems a bit big to fit in the tub so I might give up on that! The roll bar has points to mount the back point of a 3 point harness.

Any pics of what you have done would be appreciated.

It's a 1970 swb, any ideas on what I have to have by law?

It's a 1970 swb, any ideas on what I have to have by law?

On a 1970 the minimum requirement is three point belts on the front outboard seats. However, without some kind of rigid structure to fit the top mount at shoulder height, three point belts are useless. Actually probably worse than useless as they may give a false sense of security.

JBorges - That looks like what I need, so you've got the inertia reel mounted on the cab side of the bulkhead, it goes up and through the D loop, is it still a bit low for your shoulder or is it OK?

What tube is the bar made out of? How thick, and how thick is the wall?

Many thanks

On a 1970 the minimum requirement is three point belts on the front outboard seats. However, without some kind of rigid structure to fit the top mount at shoulder height, three point belts are useless. Actually probably worse than useless as they may give a false sense of security.

Thanks for the info, I'm not too bothered about the false sense of security as the series doesn't go that fast!

The diameter is 45 or 50 mm and the wall thick is 2.5mm, i think is steel.

The D loop is 3 or 4 fingers low my shoulder and is ok. This measure is like my other car (Mazda MX5) with a D loop on a same place, more higher and I think can be dangerous.

Also I lining the tube bar with black air conditioning sponge and looks very good.

I search on ebay and I find the original seat belt bar, but normally are very expensive and also i believe don't support the hi-lift.

8ad5_1.JPG

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seat-Belt-Mounting-f...Q2em118Q2el1247

I'd be worried with the spine compression issues of having the shoulder mount so low.

You want the mount to be higher than your shoulder, for the same reason harness straps have defined positions and angles for competition use.

I'd be worried with the spine compression issues of having the shoulder mount so low.

You want the mount to be higher than your shoulder, for the same reason harness straps have defined positions and angles for competition use.

I agree in a perfect world, but if it's legal and fast sports car do it, then I don't see it being too much of a problem in a diesel Land Rover which tops out just over 50mph and spends most of it's life below 30.

Any other suggestions would be greatly received though

On my first instalation I use an Citroen Saxo but to use the seat belt anchors (pics 4 and 5)I buy the securon's.

Well its the top on the shoulder belts that is the problem. Mine are attached to the hood poles. Which I believe to be made of galvanized butter.

For what it's worth, here's the diagram taken from the SVA manual (wash my mouth out with soap). It's interesting that they give a 'z' and a 'y' position but no 'x' value - although it may be buried in the text somewhere.seat-belts.jpg

I agree in a perfect world, but if it's legal and fast sports car do it, then I don't see it being too much of a problem in a diesel Land Rover which tops out just over 50mph and spends most of it's life below 30.

Any other suggestions would be greatly received though

I'm not entirely sure it is legal (see SVA manual) but in any case modern cars have crumple zones, series dont, I think if I had to I'd probably rather total a volvo at 70 than a series at 40... while you're building in the mounts why not just make them at least level with your shoulder then theres no problem?

Just my 2p,

Mike

I had a look at someone elses series motor today who has original seatbelts which they say came with it like that from new, theres is a 1969 model, it doesn't have inertia reels and the top mount is on the bulkhead so it comes over exactly like that - so I guess it would be legal.

It's looking like I'm going to make the roll bar fit and either mount the seat belts on that at the correct height or use harnesses, I was hoping there would be a quick fix to keep me going till I had time to mount the roll bar properly - to the chassis.

I was also put off fitting the roll bar by the possibility of increased insurance premiums, but I phoned the insurers today, and it makes no difference to the cost of insurance but my excess will go from £50 to £100 which seemed reasonable to me.

on a full soft top 110 the inertia reel attaches to the bulkhead approx 1/3 below the top of the seats backrest. the belt comes up & over the wearer's shoulder

That sounds like what I was planning - Have you got any pics? does it have a D loop between the inertia reel and the shoulder or does it skip the D loop?

• 1 month later...
I'm not entirely sure it is legal (see SVA manual) but in any case modern cars have crumple zones, series dont, I think if I had to I'd probably rather total a volvo at 70 than a series at 40... while you're building in the mounts why not just make them at least level with your shoulder then theres no problem?

Just my 2p,

Mike

sorry but i am with mike on this i smashed my series last year and at 25 mph it hurt best to not compomise on your life

• 11 months later...
I'll scan & post the parts pages tomorrow [saturday] looks to be a belt loop on top of the bulkhead behind the seats.

I just found this by accident when looking up seat belt possibilities for a 110 with the truck cab roof removed. Your parts book is really handy!

Is it still possible to buy these parts new (the brackets and things), or would it be a case of looking for some second hand ones?

Mike