Switching things on and off

landmannnn

I came across a supplier of relay boards that can be controlled by a serial or usb output from my toughbook tablet pc. Up to 8 relays per board for £20 or so.

It sounds really useful to be able to control things from the pc.

Problem is that I can't think of use for this technology...anybody think of one?

I like the sound of those.. The Password protected ignition sounds like a very useful use of them. I dont know wbout the voice activated stuff.. You would be shouting at the top of your voice to be heard over the engine :P

I built my own.

Coupled with some input lines, I've got it set up to do things like

1) driving lights on with the main beam

2) driving lights on using the touchscreen

3) driving lights off with the main beam

4) rear work lights on, when in reverse and sidelights on

etc, etc,

Basically nothing you couldn't hard-wire, but the advantage of doing it in software means it's much more flexible.

You are forgetting 'disco' lighting effects using headlights, sidelights, indicators etc to impress your homies.

Si

I always suspected I was doing something wrong. Do X eng supply candy paint and huge exhaust pipes? X-candy and X-can perhaps?

Seriously though, the pc controlled ignition sounds the most practical use. Thanks folks.

Mike

Guest diesel_jim

Crikey... i barely trust windoze to check my email, let alone something as crucial as controlling stuff on my car! :o:o

Guest diesel_jim
How about using it to make a car alarm which behaves like the walking robot on RoboCop -

"YOU HAVE FIVE SECONDS TO COMPLY!" ;)

Si

"YOU HAVE FIVE SECONDS UNTIL SHUTDOWN....PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO CANCEL"

you go to turn your lights on.... "are you sure you want to turn your lights on? yes, no, cancel"

I like a bit of automation as much as the next man, but it seems like a lot of effort to achieve things that could be done with a few cheap components and no software. Or, if you wanted to have the flexibility, a PIC.

yup, the best solution IMHO is to have a standalone PIC that can also talk to the PC.

I'm surprised at the pair of you! Where's the fun in an undercomplicated solution?

There was a photoshopped picture of a Td5 steering wheel with Ctrl Alt & Del keys added doing the rounds a few years ago. This might be an oportunity to turn it in to a reality!

Si