Lodar wiring - user test

SteveG

Wired in my recent Lodar purchase (Llama4x4) and either the wiring instructions are wrong or my interpretation of the wireless controller is wrong. So how would you view the following buttons...

lodar004Medium.jpg

Left hand yellow button (down arrow) is for winching in and right hand button (up arrow) as pay out?

Or alternatively, as you are typically standing facing the winch, they could be reversed...

Left hand yellow button (down arrow) is for winching line paying out - coming towards you and right hand button (up arrow) as to winch in - winch line going away from you?

So what's your view. So I don't bias it I won't say what mine is, but needless to say when I followed their wiring instructions it was not what I was expecting.

Cheers

Steve

Having worked with winches on cranes and helicopters, and having learnt the hand signals for working with them,

Winch up/Winch in - wind on to the drum - hand signal of rotating pointing hand pointing up

Winch down/Winch out - wind off the drum- hand signal of rotating pointing hand pointing down

both with the arm bent at the elbow.

Using this convention, there's no confusion over which way you face, or how you hold the remote relative to the winch etc, or how you and the remote are standing relative to the winch - especially relevant with a wireless remote i'd have thought.

Guest WALFY

You could view it either way depending on your view. To stop all confusion you could draw the front of a LR under the buttons to show direction of arrows in relation to winch. That way who ever picked up the remote would be under no illusion as to which button to press

Arrow away from me pay out and Vice Versa

Having worked with winches on cranes and helicopters, and having learnt the hand signals for working with them,

Winch up/Winch in - wind on to the drum

Winch down/Winch out - wind off the drum

Using this convention, there's no confusion over which way you face, or how you hold the remote relative to the winch etc.

:lol: That explains it then. I had same view as Tony. Thanks Luke, that explains why Lodar did the reverse. They are following convention not instinctive interpretation of layout of buttons. ;);)

Now I just have the dilema of following convention or giving an instinctive layout! :lol: Or I could just add some In and Out stickers and remove all confusion ;);)

Reasonable purchase?

Dave gave a full money back credit for warranty on the four shocks I had. So purchase was a few pounds and postage. Which I was happy with. Price was £160+ VAT.

Cheers

Steve

Left hand button (pointing away from the red button) winch in, the RH button winch out. It might defy what helicopters do but I haven't got a helicopter and it makes sense to me which is the important thing, though I did also think about writing it on so it was clear in case anybody else used it.

Same as mine and a great bit of kit. I'm not even sure where my wired remote is these days :)

I realise the convention might not be intuitive, but it is standard, and allows a degree of inter-operability (if everyone were to follow it!). The use of hand signals also negates the need to shout, which i hate, and is quite difficult against the backdrop of engine noise/wind/over distance etc.

the other signals for inching, stopping, emergency stopping, and starting and stopping winching operations are useful too.

granted, the signals for jib up/down and in/out are not so useful!!

Winch up/Winch in - wind on to the drum - hand signal of rotating pointing hand pointing up

Winch down/Winch out - wind off the drum- hand signal of rotating pointing hand pointing down

both with the arm bent at the elbow.

Is that so that it doesn't look 70's Disco when doing it?? ;);)

My Lodar hand unit, note I've annotated the arrows with IN & OUT, makes it far easier, the 'Lodar' name is always nearest the person operating the hand unit. the lanyard is at the label end of the units case.

Steve G -- Or I could just add some In and Out stickers and remove all confusion

don't bother with stickers just write it on with a permanent marker, as I have, stickers will come off eventually & when they get wet.

post-20-1211994364_thumb.jpg