Stub axle

wkw90

Picked up a 90 last night with Mo , and on the way home rear wheel bearing went :angry: . 1 trip with the AA later I am home :) The bearing inner track is stuck fast to the stub axle the axle is from a disco 200 tdi . I have a RRC back axle sitting here so was thinking I could just swap the stub axle over is this possible ?

Many thanks Paul

Guest WALFY

Why not just change the axle over completely. That way you know what axle you have when it comes time to order bits. Rather than have Def stuff 1 side and RRC the other

Why not just change the axle over completely. That way you know what axle you have when it comes time to order bits. Rather than have Def stuff 1 side and RRC the other

If only things were that easy , the axle case has a bad case of wood worm :(

Hi

Cut the old track off carefully with a grinder, if you cut it in a spiral shape till its most of the way through you should be able to split it with a chisel, then it will come off ok.

Mike

Looks like thats what will have to be done , i was just being lazy :)

Run a bead of weld, all the way around the stuck fast, bearing track,

Wait until it is cold and it will fall out.

Fit a new bearing .......done !

no it wont.............. it will just shrink itself onto the stub axle :lol: ......... now, if it was the outer race in the hub, then that would be different ;)

:)

Ian

There are different combinations of stubs and hubs .................. use the RR hubs with the RR stubs and it should be OK...............

The calipers are common and will fit all the axles.

Ian

Well my good lady bless her was having a clear out and took the hubs from the RRC to the dump :(

no it wont.............. it will just shrink itself onto the stub axle :lol: ......... now, if it was the outer race in the hub, then that would be different ;)

Ian

I've done several that way with a mig & its worked every time. The heat expands the race & the weld stops it shrinking back.

But as you haven't got a mig then its out with the angle grinder.

I've done several that way with a mig & its worked every time. The heat expands the race & the weld stops it shrinking back.

Metal alway shrinks more that it expands when subjected to high temperatures (such as welding)...............

A common way to remove an outer bearing from a housing is to run a bead on mig completely around the circumference, wait for it to cool and nine times out of ten it will fall out (probably as much as 2 or 3 thou shrinkage on a large HGV / Agri outer)............................ with an inner on a shaft, run the bead around in the same way, but remove the inner race whilst it is still red hot. The weld itself will not stop shrink back. One of a good welders greatest skills is pre-empting and minimizing expansion and then shrinkage in the welded material.

Ian