Costco soya oil

Costco have 25 litre drums of soya oil at 85p per litre. The oil is from genetically modified soya so would not knowingly touch myself but do not think The Beastie has ethical considerations :rolleyes:

I would have bought it but two concerns - first is soya oil ok for 200Tdi, or might it be too thick, and second the only added ingredient was an antifoaming agent - problem??

If ok on both counts will pick up a drum tomorrow. Am currently running with the first batch of rapeseed oil in to test - put 5l into half a tank so very weak mixture but so far no difference noticed.

Malcy

Guest otchie1
What do you reckon? Would it work in 2.5N/A?

Potential pitfalls are many and vary with mix %.

Unburnt oil can end up recycling through your sump oil, turning it to sludge.

Your piston rings can gum up which can cause excessive blow by on the way down and far worse, allow your engine to pump it's own oil laden fuel/air mixture from the sump back up to the combustion chamber giving hellish run on and possibly destroying your engine.

Veggy oil isn't as good a lubricant as diesel so your lift/fuel pump will fail prematurely.

Veggy oil thickens quicker at lower temperatures making cold starts harder.

Veggy oil also burns less completely in a cold engine causing it to condense out on the cylinder walls contributing to ring gumming and bore wear.

Potential ups are singular.

Saving 40p a litre @ 100% mix or more likely saving £2.50 per 50litre total fuel at 20% mix (40l diesel + 10l veggy)

I've seen Transit engines run for a couple of years on it with occasional new fuel pumps. I ran a Mondeo 1.8TD on a 50% mix for 6 months or so with no trouble in the Summer but then I sold it :-)

People with Bosche fuel pumps seem to be happier, those with Lucas ones less so.

Personally, if it was a PoS old Passat then I'd run it on recycled chip fat but not anything that I want to keep.

I reckon the dieselveg conversion (as seen in LRM) is a bit over-engineered with all sorts of switches and whatnot. Very nice, but it can't be cheap. With the price of cooking oil rising steeply in the UK I wonder if you will ever get your money back. Cooking oil has always been expensive here, much more than diesel, but the diesel price is rising every month now. I bought my 300tdi 110 in 1996 and the price of diesel has quintuplicated in that time, mostly in the last year. Maybe it will overtake SVO soon? The prophets of doom seem to think a barrel of oil will be US$200 before the year is out.....

and i melted a piston

removed and sold kit

now I only use proper diesel

Thanks. For the minimal saving it isn't worth that risk.

I will use up the further 10 litres of rapeseed I have got using 5l per tank and call it a day!

It was interesting exploring but the more I looked into global prices of SVO the more obvious it became that it wasn't an answer.

Will have to increase my charge rate to cover play diesel for The Beastie :P

I must say though on my 200tdi, I use a 70/30 SVO/DERV mix in the summer and 30/70 in the winter. It runs fantastically, its alot smoother, seems to have more power, you dont get that lovely black smoke on start up, more of a grey smoke now. As far as im aware veg oil is a better lubricant than diesel, although it has a greater viscosity at any temperature, particularly when cold. Im sure its better for the environment, no added sulphur (probably better for the engine as well) It also smells soooo much nicer than diesel :P and as a result people tend to feel hungry when they get a lift with me :lol: I just make sure that i do an oil change every 3000miles, and use the glow plugs (wait til you hear the tick, rather than wait for the light to go off). I also changed the fuel filter at the first 500 miles to allow for all the carp to surface from the tank. I would recommend it . I used the pura rapeseed from the tesco when it was £0.57 now its £1.07 so im actively seeking a new source, luckily i bought loaaads while it was at the cheaper price!! I suspect it is critical that a good engine oil is used, i use castrol magnatec - which i must say is a great oil, fortunately i get it for free ^_^ .

Just my 2p on the matter.

Im not sure weather the lubrication properties of oil can be proven,especially over long term use,its just not worth it anymore,and ive been using it for 4 years up the price went up,you save hardly anything :unsure: you do risk playing with the life of your filter and pump,and whats more its illegal...so if your not paying the added tax which makes it illegal then WHY dont you just use red diesel??? the police can detect oil and they can detect red so you cant hide either,so really isnt red diesel the better option?? a trip down to the local farmer and have him order a little more into a 200ltr drum is no problem,to be honest we are screwed with the price of fuel and the only sure way of combatting it is to ask for a pay rise and plan your journeys a little better,maybe walk to the shop if you can......which ever way we look at saving fuel the government will get us somehow be it gas oil or electric!! mind you there is another way, see if your local religion can slip in a few prayers for cheaper fuel as well as forgiving our sins....................??

Im not sure weather the lubrication properties of oil can be proven,especially over long term use,its just not worth it anymore,and ive been using it for 4 years up the price went up,you save hardly anything :unsure: you do risk playing with the life of your filter and pump,and whats more its illegal...so if your not paying the added tax which makes it illegal then WHY dont you just use red diesel??? the police can detect oil and they can detect red so you cant hide either,so really isnt red diesel the better option?? a trip down to the local farmer and have him order a little more into a 200ltr drum is no problem,to be honest we are screwed with the price of fuel and the only sure way of combatting it is to ask for a pay rise and plan your journeys a little better,maybe walk to the shop if you can......which ever way we look at saving fuel the government will get us somehow be it gas oil or electric!! mind you there is another way, see if your local religion can slip in a few prayers for cheaper fuel as well as forgiving our sins....................??

The tax law has changed AFAIK, 2500 litres duty free see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm. I was at one point seriously considering using red, did a bit of research. Aside from the dye, it contains a marking compound that stays in your tank for quite some time. Its also got a massive sulphur content, which is defo not good for you engine (good lubrication though :D ) I think i may pop along to the church, must be worth it for a bit of fuel :lol:

I've been using SVO in my 300Tdi disco for 2 years and 40,000 miles with no ill effects...

I'm running 50/50 KTC veg oil/ diesel at the moment... i tail it off to 90% diesel in the winter, but have no problems with 50/50 in the summer.

I change the oil and filter every 4k, and the fuel filter every 6k, so far so good...

Not even just a tincy wincy bit!!! :lol::lol: didnt realise that red diesel over time could be a little harmful :blink:

I read it in a chemistry textbook, IIRC it forms H2SO4 (sulphuric acid). Obviously over time this results in increased wear on mechanical parts and the engine oil itself. One of the reasons sulphur content is constantly being driven down in DERV.

I read it in a chemistry textbook, IIRC it forms H2SO4 (sulphuric acid). Obviously over time this results in increased wear on mechanical parts and the engine oil itself. One of the reasons sulphur content is constantly being driven down in DERV.

the farm machinery seem to run okay but i dont doubt what your saying at all,wouldnt want to run anything that would risk premature engine wear,thats why i stopped using oil,because it could possibly take life off my engine,say my engine would do 200k but using oil only does 170k than will cost me a new engine when on diesel it could still be running,think what we need to see is someone with some serious mileage using oil,you know a 100k plus..

Totally agree with you there, I'm not dependant on mine, ive got another vehicle to use should the worst happen. For someone who uses theirs as a work vehicle perhaps a tad risky. Its a case of trial an error i suppose, in that there isnt conclusive scientific evidence out there that tells us which setups it works well on without causing premature wear etc. The main glimmers of hope for me that it wont be detrimental are that the 200 is a bloody strong engine, often hailed as the best engine LR ever made, and when Mr Diesel designed his engine it ran on peanut oil B) Like you said though the savings are getting smaller by the day as lots of people are catching on to it and generally high food prices. It would be interesting though to hear of high mileage veg oil landys. I know a friends granddad used to drive one (series II i would imagine) in guyana on some type of oil (possibly coconut) I don't know the full details but it sounded pretty much the norm over there, albeit totally different climate.

Totally agree with you there, I'm not dependant on mine, ive got another vehicle to use should the worst happen. For someone who uses theirs as a work vehicle perhaps a tad risky. Its a case of trial an error i suppose, in that there isnt conclusive scientific evidence out there that tells us which setups it works well on without causing premature wear etc. The main glimmers of hope for me that it wont be detrimental are that the 200 is a bloody strong engine, often hailed as the best engine LR ever made, and when Mr Diesel designed his engine it ran on peanut oil B) Like you said though the savings are getting smaller by the day as lots of people are catching on to it and generally high food prices. It would be interesting though to hear of high mileage veg oil landys. I know a friends granddad used to drive one (series II i would imagine) in guyana on some type of oil (possibly coconut) I don't know the full details but it sounded pretty much the norm over there, albeit totally different climate.

blimey if we tried to run coconot that would be fun :rolleyes: !!! by the way havnt met you before so welcome to the forum

Guest otchie1
and when Mr Diesel designed his engine it ran on peanut oil B)

warning, engineering nerd approaching....That Frenchy Mr Diesel didn't invent the Diesel engine, the English Mr Herbert Akroyd Stuart did in 1891. The peanut oil thing only happened later in the 1900 Paris exhibition.

i'll get me coat.

warning, engineering nerd approaching....That Frenchy Mr Diesel didn't invent the Diesel engine, the English Mr Herbert Akroyd Stuart did in 1891. The peanut oil thing only happened later in the 1900 Paris exhibition.

i'll get me coat.

As much as id love it to be an englishman that invented the diesel engine, the hot bulb engine is slightly different (which was invented by Mr Herbert Akroyd Stuart), although diesel based his design on the hot bulb engine.

Guest otchie1
As much as id love it to be an englishman that invented the diesel engine, the hot bulb engine is slightly different (which was invented by Mr Herbert Akroyd Stuart), although diesel based his design on the hot bulb engine.

So we're down to a thing like Mr Watt in the world of steam; Diesel improved the compression ignition engine following Stuart's initial patent. Akroyd's still used compression ignition, he just had to pre-heat the fuel due to naff manufacturing tolerances.