Turbo onto a 2.5 n/a ?

Rotor

Hi

Will a turbo and manifolds etc from a pre 200tdi Defender bolt straight onto my 2.5 n/a Defender? I know they are not the best engine to start with so is it a bad idea? what power difference is there?

Thanks In advance

Rotor

As you have said it is not a good idea. The Turbo engine is not reknowned for longevity and that had several upgrades from the NA when they made it so I don't think a (by now quite old) NA engine would be a good starting point.

Stick a 200 in it.

Pistons are different (not in dimensions, but in build), valve timing is different (so you would need a new amshaft as well)...

I wouldn't mess, if you care for reliability.

Oh, one more thing: without a proper injection pump you'll have no positive advantage, the pump must be able to sense the increase in air pressure and regulate fuel accordingly.

What they said. The parts physically fit but there are a host of internal differences. Although i think the last n/a's used turbo spec blocks.

Bad idea, the td must be L/R's worst engine in terms of reliability and resistance to abuse.

Pistons are different (not in dimensions, but in build), valve timing is different (so you would need a new amshaft as well)...

I wouldn't mess, if you care for reliability.

Oh, one more thing: without a proper injection pump you'll have no positive advantage, the pump must be able to sense the increase in air pressure and regulate fuel accordingly.

Valve timing is identical in the Lr application 2.5D &TD. Both engine types share the same camshaft equipment.

Block is different (turbo take off/main bearing housings), pistons, fuel injection pump, manifolds etc. Some late 2.5 diesel engines were built with turbo diesel blocks. Bolting a turbo onto an engine built with n/a pistons will not work in the longterm.

FridaT

www.turner-engineering.co.uk

Valve timing is identical in the Lr application 2.5D &TD. Both engine types share the same camshaft equipment.

Block is different (turbo take off/main bearing housings), pistons, fuel injection pump, manifolds etc. Some late 2.5 diesel engines were built with turbo diesel blocks. Bolting a turbo onto an engine built with n/a pistons will not work in the longterm.

FridaT

Looks like I`m best sticking with what I have or going for a 200tdi upgrade,

Thanks

to all

Rotor

The 2.5 N/A engine is a good engine as far as reliabilty and longevity is concerned - you just don't get anywhere particulalry quickly. The 200TDi conversion gives the best of all - reliability, speed, strength, minimal insurance increase, better MPG.

Les.

The 2.5 N/A engine is a good engine as far as reliabilty and longevity is concerned - you just don't get anywhere particulalry quickly. The 200TDi conversion gives the best of all - reliability, speed, strength, minimal insurance increase, better MPG.

Les.

What people who carry out this conversion should be aware off is that parts such as cylinder heads, front covers and manifolds have not been available as new parts for some considerable time.

FridaT