Seal leaking on steering box drop arm shaft

Guest DiscoTD4

Guest DiscoTD4

1997 Disco TD300

anyone know if it's possible to change the output shaft seal on the steering box without removing it from the car ?

Its the bottom seal for the output shaft that connects to the drop arm

cheers

it can be done, the hardest part is getting the drop arm off first, then it becomes fiddly and you get a wet arm, usually its a precurser to a new box but i replaced the seal in mine just over 2 years ago and its been dry since

arrhhh - wet arm syndrome !! I've had a few of those recently doing various under car fluids recently - replaced axle oils, gearbox filters, engine sump pan and brake fluid, so may as well chuck in power steering fluid to complete the list ;)

thanks for the replies everyone, yes normally I'd go for the remove option and do a thorough clean and examination on the bench as suggested, but to be honest I've done so much work on her recently I'm suffering from 'overhaul fatigue' :( n

The replies have given me enough confidence to tackle in situ first, I can always go to plan B if required ;)

Cheers everyone

Guest DiscoTD4

no I have'nt tried / heard that one. I'll give it a go and report back.

- perhaps throw an egg in as well for good measure :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just been trying to remove the drop arm with pas box in place on my disco 200 today... but it seems as it will be a hard task to tackle, cause i tried to remove the drop arm with a two legged puller as suggested by hayes manual but to no avail.. :( now i got fed up and tired drinking beer ... here in Malta presently it's like living in an oven...very high tempretures, which do not help, while you are crawling underneat the Disco... left the puller on tension, maybe overnight the drop arm will give way...but miracles don't happen anymore...do they?? tomorrow will give it an other try, cause i need to change the seals cause of the Vrt...

interesting fact the hydraulic oil treatment, but in my case, the leak is a heavy one... friend of mine puchased some additive but it worked for a couple of days and the leak returned ...

anyways...going to sleep...feeling my arms as if i worked out at a gym for a whole week... damn puller !!!

Interesting development, brake fluid in the steering box will make the seals swell as the rubber/fluid criteria is different. Hence the leak cure, all right on a road going vehicle.

I am a Licensed aircraft engineer can I try this on a Boeing 747.................

Awaiting your informative replies...............

Are you flying on my aircraft...................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting development, brake fluid in the steering box will make the seals swell as the rubber/fluid criteria is different. Hence the leak cure, all right on a road going vehicle.

I am a Licensed aircraft engineer can I try this on a Boeing 747.................

Awaiting your informative replies...............

Are you flying on my aircraft...................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you work for Quntas, doing body work? :P