Nato hitch spreader plate

Right I have managed to find a pukka hitch today, cost a few quid, but its in great nick.

It does not have a spreader plate to go at the rear, and as I have no facility to manufacture my own. Can I get one from somewhere? I WILL not go via Ebay, as I have not used it for several years & my Paypal account is now shut, and I dont want the hassle of activating it again.

Also, after following earlier threads on the subject, I understand I need High Tensile bolts. Can someone recommend somewhere online , where I can order 4 bolts that will be up to the task please.

After I have the hitch in place, what do I do with the tow ball thats there already? Do I just take off the ball part, or the whole plate? The towing electrics are attached to this plate, but they look a bit worse for wear.

Funnily enough, I will never need the original towing stuff, and only need the NATO for recovery.....and maybe if I ever get round to having an Overland trailer built. Just keeping the options open, but want to do it all right, and not have it looking messy back there with unused stuff.

Options & advice on a postcard please!

Martin

I don't think you can buy spreader plates - most people make their own from 6 or 8 mm plate. It might be a good idea to have two anyway - one either side. I used M14 fine thread hi-tensile socket head bolts. Don't know about online though - sorry.

Les.

I didn't use washers 'cos the spreader plates are mental thick, but a nyloc nut. You need to measure the depth of the hole, plus the thickness of the NATO hook mounting, plus at least the thickness of the nut and any washers that you intend to use.

Les.