Whatever happened to...

GBMUD

I had a puncture while out on the motorbike this week and after a ride back with the RAC it has got me thinking about tyre sealants, the type you fit when the tyres are new and then forget. I have some fitted in my bicycle and in my quad but I have no idea whether they actually do any good - though SHMBO no longer complains that her tyre is flat and has to find new excuses not to use her bike. :)

A few years ago - OK well perhaps even longer than that - at Billing there was at least one if not more stalls selling this 'magic' additive for your tyres. I am sure that some of the big name LR tyre suppliers were pushing it. Anyway, I have not seen it pushed since, though I have bought it from agricultural suppliers labelled for non-road use. Is this because it does not work or because there have been any problems? Do any of the big name LR tyre suppliers still sell/install it? Any further comments? I know it worked well in a friend's Range Rover when we installed it after he had a puncture and re-inflated his tyre.

FWIW, after some reading of the internet, I have pretty much decided that the best way forward for the motorbike is to carry some aerosol foam to repair and re-inflate - though due to the fact that the valve and tube parted company this week I am unsure if that will work...

Cheers

Chris

i might be wrong but i think it is illegal to use it in vehicle tyres i use it in my kids mini motos and my trailer but i thought it was illegal in vehicle tyres other than agricutural maybe someone will know for sure

still around, about £30 per vehicle.

there was a stall at donnington show selling it.

I use it in my (non lr) pickup because I was getting punctures on a weekly basis. The only real downside (I am told) is a nail or screw can stay in the tyre and get moved every time the wheel goes round, this can damage the tyre structure and cause a blow out.

YEP... OKO is the common brand name and is linseed based. Have in in just about all my farm implements and the Quad. Amazing stuff really but I think it may not be recommended (legal??) at road going speeds. Tyre places also hate it as it makes one hell of a mess when you have to remove the tyre for some reason (though the aerosol foam is just as bad).

I use this stuff at work in our 6 ton dumpers

http://www.air-sealproducts.com/index.asp

Its good stuff , I found a short length of 1/2" refo in one of the tyres , Pulled it out ,It leaked for a bit then the fibres in the sealant bridged the gap and re sealed the tyre ,Then just top the air up .

Its legal for use in HGV`s , not sure about cars though