Old heavy hands is here again!

Hello,

This is the third nut or bolt that I have snapped/broken over the years, one was a bleed nipple, bad enough! then there was the heater plug in the engine block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I know but I always had Tonka toys as a kid!)

Today I had finished one side & just about to finish the other side when I decided to torque the spring retainers bolts up a bit more (about 30Nm) I couldn't find the torque setting anywhere!! You guessed it the !#@$%$ snapped!

The question being what would you do? I may be being a bit flippant but I can't see that they do too much! or am I missing something(again!)

What do you think?

Heres a picture incase I didn't explain it too well (I think I deserved a beer)

post-3299-1214036734_thumb.jpg

King springs and Bilstein shocks is the job that I did today going great until this :blink:

By the way from the ground to the bottom of the flare (wheel arch)

Before 860-865mm driver passenger

After 900-910mm

I was pretty surprised as they are mid duty springs

Heres some pic's of the job

post-3299-1214036995_thumb.jpg

How tight do you do up the bushes? I have just tightened them up by hand nothing realy to go by!!!

Cheers ted

What does it do?

Fastens the turret that holds your shock absorber onto the vehicle.

Snap with regularity & the bolt ring is often worth changing when you do the shocks. It is a ring with 4 studs on that sits on top of the spring, the studs stick up through the holes in the chassis spring mount & you then fit the turret over them.

Torque figure (from RRC manual but common to all) is 13.5nM or 10lbft, so you have overdone it a teensy bit!

http://www.mps4x4store.co.uk shows then in the Defender panels section as their part number LR534 for just over £5

I suppose to save replacing the ring you could put a small weld there instead. It does mean that you will have to use an angle grinder when you need to remove the turret, but at least the sheared stud is at the front and fairly accessible.

Les.

What does it do?

Fastens the turret that holds your shock absorber onto the vehicle.

Snap with regularity & the bolt ring is often worth changing when you do the shocks. It is a ring with 4 studs on that sits on top of the spring, the studs stick up through the holes in the chassis spring mount & you then fit the turret over them.

Torque figure (from RRC manual but common to all) is 13.5nM or 10lbft, so you have overdone it a teensy bit!

http://www.mps4x4store.co.uk shows then in the Defender panels section as their part number LR534 for just over £5

Thank you Paintman & Les

Yeah now you put it like that (paintman)I can see what it does!! Also it was like brand new when I took it off?

Cheers Les thats a good idea to save taking it all apart again, I'll ask my mate if he thinks he can weld it!

Cheers ted

New HD ones are all of a fiver from Paddocks.

Shipping to Brisbane may be a bit more though ;);)

By the way from the ground to the bottom of the flare (wheel arch)

Before 860-865mm driver passenger

After 900-910mm

I was pretty surprised as they are mid duty springs

Distance to ground depends on wheel/tyre you have fitted so hard to compare. Lift compared to before depends on how knackered your original springs were, so again hard to compare.

Try measuring top spring mount to bottom spring mount. On a standard Defender front it should be 260mm. This will tell you how much lift you have over standard.

Cheers

Steve