Disposing of antifreeze

I changed the rad in my Ninety and replaced the coolant since it had a mix of blue glycol and the pink organic one. I'm aware they don't mix well but it's what I had at the time. Anyway, I flushed the engine but now I've got two buckets of unneeded coolant mix (and it's a REALLY weird colour) - what do I do with them? I guess the drain's not a good plan and I don't want answers which involve the phrase "when no-one's looking". Can I recycle such liquids?

I changed the rad in my Ninety and replaced the coolant since it had a mix of blue glycol and the pink organic one. I'm aware they don't mix well but it's what I had at the time. Anyway, I flushed the engine but now I've got two buckets of unneeded coolant mix (and it's a REALLY weird colour) - what do I do with them? I guess the drain's not a good plan and I don't want answers which involve the phrase "when no-one's looking". Can I recycle such liquids?

Don't know about recycling options.

However beware that animals, especially cats, like to drink antifreeze and that it's absolutely no good for them, a few slurps can be enough to kill. So keep a tight lid on those buckets until you get rid of the stuff.

Ask your local council or nearest local garage, garage should be able to tell you what they do to dispose of old fluids.

We have to have all our waste fluids taken away by licenced carrier, all in separate drums, A/F, oil, brake fluid and mixed fuels. Costs a small fortune, so we have to add an environmental disposal charge to peoples bills.

So if you take it to your local garage, don't be surprised if they charge.

The pink L/R stuff is supposed to be biodegradable but ethylene glycol is most certainly not, and its poisonous to all sorts of things. So whatever you do, don't pour it down the drain.

Actually, I've looked a little further and I suspect my local council will take it off me (presumably to prevent their joint-funded police force from handling disputes between neighbours with dead lawns...):

South Gloucestershire recycling and yoghurt-weaving facility

So I'll slop and slosh my way down there (by which point I'll have a wet Ninety and only a residue to recycle...) and see if they want it.

MMGemini- I was quite lucky - I didn't want to flood the garage so I put a bucket under the bottom hose and popped it off. Once I'd realised the coolant runs onto the axle and drips off from the diff, I moved the bucket and caught "most" of it.