Intercoolers

Hey,

I'm thinking about fitting an uprated intercooler but does anyone have opinions on which company to use?

I am thinking-Brunnel, Allisport or Allard. Any opinions about price versus performance etc? Is it worth it? :ph34r:

Thanks

Pete

Pete, as you know, I fitted a full-length Allisport recently & I love it.

I did a helluva lot of research beforehand & it turns out that, on this forum at least, opinion is fairly evenly divided between Allisport or Brunel.

Price is also about the same between the 2 companies.

As for performance, I can tell an obvious difference having fitted it, but nowhere near as much as would be felt in a tuned performance car.

I dont think that you will go wrong with either of the companies, it will come down to price solely.

If it helps at all, the quality of workmanship on my Allisport is superb.

Martin

Read all the threads related to this topic, great opinions.

I still have a few doubts though:

Data:

1) My Defender is a 2000 TD5 but has a 2.8 TGV instead. The intercooler and radiator I have now are both standard 300Tdi and the intercooler looks a bit old from the outside, with twisted aluminium. Me Defender has no AC but I am planning to install one very soon so Ican´t go for the full width intercooler.

2) I want to fit a standard size, uprated intercooler and I am planning to slightly tweak the fuel pump afterwards.

Questions:

1) Do Brunel standard width intercoolers work with water or are they just "normal" (sorry for the terminology) intercoolers like allisport?

2) Do standard width Brunel and Allisport intercoolers offer better performance than the original 300 Tdi intercoolers or are only the full width intercoolers the ones that offer a significant advantage?

3) Will a standard width Allisport or Brunel intercooler fit easily when I replace my original 300Tdi intercooler or do they have different sizes and connections that can create a problem when installin?

4) Last but not least, do you thimk it is relatively safe to send have one of these two intercoolers shipped abroad (south America) or are they too delicate?

5) If you install an uprated intercooler and slightly tweak the fuel pump is it really important to install a EGT probe to measure the temperature or is that only really necessary when you increase the turbo boost?

Thanks a lot for your help

Cheers,

Santiago

Western,

I've just read the above.

Mo says no to a full width because of a winch. Does this apply to all winch setups?

Pete

depends on which winch you have fitted, IIRC Mo has a Warn 8274 on his 90, so that's what stopping him fitting a full width IC. whereas my 110 has a Husky & could accept a full width IC if I wanted one.

FWIW I've got the Brunel standard-width intercooler installed.

1) Do Brunel standard width intercoolers work with water or are they just "normal" (sorry for the terminology) intercoolers like allisport?

They're standard i.e. "air cooled".

2) Do standard width Brunel and Allisport intercoolers offer better performance than the original 300 Tdi intercoolers or are only the full width intercoolers the ones that offer a significant advantage?

The Brunel standard-width intercooler on its own did give our 300Tdi a little more "go". But to what what extent that was because the OE intercooler was old and probably a bit bunged up I don't know. The Brunel intercooler was fitted at the same time that I removed the EGR.

3) Will a standard width Allisport or Brunel intercooler fit easily when I replace my original 300Tdi intercooler or do they have different sizes and connections that can create a problem when installin?

The Brunel is a direct drop-in replacement -- it'll fit with the OE hoses etc. Having said that I did have to cut a small slot in the bottom of the rad/intercooler frame with a Dremel.

4) Last but not least, do you thimk it is relatively safe to send have one of these two intercoolers shipped abroad (south America) or are they too delicate?

No idea. I'm sure if you make it clear to whoever you buy from that it's to be shipped to South America they'll pack it properly.

5) If you install an uprated intercooler and slightly tweak the fuel pump is it really important to install a EGT probe to measure the temperature or is that only really necessary when you increase the turbo boost?

In my experience with the Brunel standard-width intercooler you don't need to worry about EGT if you're only tweaking the fueling.

HTH.

Cheers,

Bill,

Thanks a lot for your answers. Makes me seriously consider it. It happens that my srandard intercooler is very deteriorated so instead of buying another original LR intercooler I think it may be a good opportunity to get an upgrade.

I will take a picture of the front of my intercooler one of these days and share it here to see what other peoople think but to me it looks bad.

Just a couple more questions related to terminology (English is not my first language):

What is EGR?

What is HTH?

What does OE stand for? (original equipment?)

THANKS!

Cheers,

Santiago

Thanks a lot for your answers. Makes me seriously consider it. It happens that my srandard intercooler is very deteriorated so instead of buying another original LR intercooler I think it may be a good opportunity to get an upgrade.

What is EGR?

What is HTH?

What does OE stand for? (original equipment?)

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation (lots of info on the forum if you do a search)

HTH = hope this helps :)

OE is original equipment.

I changed mine more or less for same reasons as youself.

The radiator had failed so I had the whole lot out anyway and decided to replace the intercooler because it was a good opportunity to do so and it was 10 years old and looking a bit tired :)

I think Bill, that if you are tweaking the fuelling then that is every reason to monitor EGT. It doesn't take much more fuel to get that temperature rising very quickly !

Fair point :) My answer was a bit lazy -- what I meant was that minor tweaks to the fuelling after I fitted the Brunel intercooler did not result in the EGT going over spec.

Another vote for Brunel.

And they'll fit it at Billing for free. Allisport won't do any fitting there at all.

Alisport tend to push their full-width intercooler more, which isn't necessarily the best approach, other than for their benefit.

Brunel are far more considered and give you the facts. They prefer to point out the good and the bad of each option to you.

At least, that was my experience.