Disco Springs

VERY OLD DISCO

Hello all, I am going to buy a pair of "heavy duty" (standard height) springs for the front of my 1993 Disco, I have a winch etc and the front is a bit low, I think the new springs will put it on a more even keel.

The existing front springs are not very old, so, can I fit them on the back? Are the front standard springs stiffer (more pounds) than the standard rear springs?

Any other comments?

Any idea where in the UK I can buy just the front "C" arm polybushes (two to the axle and the "doughnut")

I dont want a full kit.

Geoff

Added : The heavy duty springs are listed on MM 4x4 http://www.mm-4x4.com/Shop/index.htm

at about £10.00 each. I will go and have a look. If not the spacers look good. Geoff

Edited by VERY OLD DISCO

Front springs are a lot softer so will be no good on the back.

I seem to remember somebody telling me they fitted 90 front springs to the front of a Discovery which worked OK. Don't know if there is a "factory" HD front spring option, not heard of one though.

Alternatively consider something like the Mill Services lifters, they give a "known amount of lift" and save a lot of messing about with spring rates etc.

do not waste you money and time fitting non genuine springs.

I have lost count of the number of problems I have been asked to fix from these things, either they sit wrong from the start or do shortly afterwards.

Look at the std stuff and then lookmat whats available either height / poundage / genuine, Trev (lr90s) site is a good start or J Barges.

Pattern springs are a waste of time and money,

period

Nige

Hello all, I am going to buy a pair of "heavy duty" (standard height) springs for the front of my 1993 Disco, I have a winch etc and the front is a bit low, I think the new springs will put it on a more even keel.

The existing front springs are not very old, so, can I fit them on the back? Are the front standard springs stiffer (more pounds) than the standard rear springs?

Any other comments?

Any idea where in the UK I can buy just the front "C" arm polybushes (two to the axle and the "doughnut")

I dont want a full kit.

Geoff

Added : The heavy duty springs are listed on MM 4x4 http://www.mm-4x4.com/Shop/index.htm

at about £10.00 each. I will go and have a look. If not the spacers look good. Geoff

Don't waste your money on Polybush get Super Pro - much cheaper and much better. They do individual bushes - Richard at www.superpro.eu ( I think)

I have got a set of old rear springs you could have if you just want to lift the front a little, problem is not sure if you want to make the suspension any stiffer?

Are you planning on replacing the springs yourself?

I recomend you buy a pair of shock turret retainming rings, not sure if that is ther propper name for them, they are the rings with 4 studs pointing up that go through the spring mount and hold the turret on.

I always tend to break off some of these studs when I take turrets off.

Spray the bottom shock mounting with loads of wd40 for a few days before you plan on doing the job.

With the shock removed you dont have to jack the front up very high to remove the spring.

I have got a set of old rear springs you could have if you just want to lift the front a little, problem is not sure if you want to make the suspension any stiffer?

Are you planning on replacing the springs yourself?

I recomend you buy a pair of shock turret retainming rings, not sure if that is ther propper name for them, they are the rings with 4 studs pointing up that go through the spring mount and hold the turret on.

I always tend to break off some of these studs when I take turrets off.

Spray the bottom shock mounting with loads of wd40 for a few days before you plan on doing the job.

With the shock removed you dont have to jack the front up very high to remove the spring.

OK Rob, I dont mind if the ride is a bit harder, a gentle lift would be about right, I just want to allow for the weight of the winch,bumper, steering guard etc,

So if you have a pair of rears that might do the job. I have done the job before, all the threads are copper greased they should fly off. The turrets should be OK, I welded new studs on last time. Let me know about the springs.

Geoff