This took a while to get right

MogLite

I'm making the steering bars for MogLite at long last.

The front one needs to go from RangeRover steering box, to Unimog track rod.

Don't like spending out on Merc bits, so I'm using a 3/4" rose joint, at the axle end.

Drilling out the taper on the steering arm to accept a 3/4" bolt wasn't too bad, but using 3/4" drills is pretty scary.

However the drag link (a sumo bar) needed boring out ~2mm so it could be tapped for 3/4" UNF.

It took about 1/2 an hour to setup the pillar drill

IMG_4038.jpg

I used a 15mm drill as a guide to get the bar in the right position, and then bored it out with a 16mm to check and then the final 11/16's.

Very satisfying :)

But tapping 3/4" UNF into a sumo bar is bloody hard work - blunt tap or hard steel or a combination of both, but it gets you warmed up for sure.

Drag link next......

Nice to see the progress Andy I was looking at the 63weeks progress pics yesterday

Tony

Those piccies are a bit out of date

Bulkhead is started to be fitted up currently too

IMG_4036.jpg

Get steering finished, and then cable up the handbrakes, and I can wheel it into the fresh air for pictures, and getting an exhaust fitted.

Andy any more pics then?

I've been checking back reqgularly for the latest available.

Tony

I'm really waiting to get it outside, to take some proper pictures.

Here is some panel work - before I ripped it all off for paint

mog3.jpg

Battery box - yes its a good idea, and some of the regs will insist upon it. Its a while off yet though.

You like your chequer plate then?

Si

Honestly - no - I hate the bloody stuff !!

But I've got a load of 6mm, and I bought 16 sheets of 2mm from a shop refitters, so it beats paying for smooth stuff.

All the rest of the panelling is going to be smooth, and all the exterior panels satin black'd to tone it down a bit.

Anyone want to swap some smooth for chequer ?

The front one needs to go from RangeRover steering box, to Unimog track rod.

Do you think the RR steering box will cope with those 44" tyres - or are you "fiddling with it" somehow? Just wondering as a std steering box sometimes struggles with "normal" sized tyres. I suppose the tyre diameter doesn't necessarily make it a lot harder to turn but the width certainly does, 90's on 12.50" wide tyres sometimes just won't turn if the ground is a bit soft as there isn't enough power assistance to overcome the scrub/friction of the tyres. But I suppose ML (ooer I think there might be a trademark challenge from a certain German manufacturer there :ph34r: ) will be a lot lighter than a 90 - what's it going to weigh in at do you think?

P.S. I think it will be a bit hard on wiper blades :D

Edited by BogBuster

Do you think the RR steering box will cope with those 44" tyres - or are you "fiddling with it" somehow? Just wondering as a std steering box sometimes struggles with "normal" sized tyres. I suppose the tyre diameter doesn't necessarily make it a lot harder to turn but the width certainly does, 90's on 12.50" wide tyres sometimes just won't turn if the ground is a bit soft as there isn't enough power assistance to overcome the scrub/friction of the tyres. But I suppose ML (ooer I think there might be a trademark challenge from a certain German manufacturer there :ph34r: ) will be a lot lighter than a 90 - what's it going to weigh in at do you think?

P.S. I think it will be a bit hard on wiper blades :D

I'm planning to leave the steering standard at the moment. I might get lucky and it might be okay !! Well I believe the arm on the axle is longer, so there is potentially more leverage.

There is an article on Pirate about how to drill out the pump for more power

I'm also considering fitting a hydro assist ram from the panhard mount on the steering box to the track rod.

Windscreen wipers - PMSL :) :)

Weight - hoping for 2000kgs kitted up on 44's - thats with 400kgs of wheels and tyres !!

Here is a link to the pillar drill I bought, and where I bought it from

Well I wasn't expecting it to be a Draper :) but for the price, circa 150ukp inc VAT, you can't go wrong!

Apologies for thread hijack; must echo TonyC, I keep checking your web site for progress.

Thanks for the link

I'm planning to leave the steering standard at the moment. I might get lucky and it might be okay !! Well I believe the arm on the axle is longer, so there is potentially more leverage.

There is an article on Pirate about how to drill out the pump for more power

I'm also considering fitting a hydro assist ram from the panhard mount on the steering box to the track rod.

Windscreen wipers - PMSL :) :)

Weight - hoping for 2000kgs kitted up on 44's - thats with 400kgs of wheels and tyres !!

A couple of other thoughts....

1) if you have a longer arm on the axle end, won't it seriously affect the amount of steering lock you can get with that combination of stg box and axle? The voices in my head had a bit of an argument about it and eventually suggested that if you double the distance from the track rod end to the pivot point (king pins) at the axle end, you would roughly halve the amount of lock produced for the same steering box movement ... ? i.e. you would need to increase the length of the droparm by the same proportion to keep the same lock.

2) Some later boxes e.g. Discovery Series 2 operate at a higher pressure so you might get more oomph out of a box/pump from one of those - I know that my D2 is far more effortless if you have to wind it lock to lock on a grippy surface, than the old Disco was.

The ram idea sounds like a good one to me - or maybe something like the idea used on ZF front axles as fitted to some Case IH tractors etc, where the steering is hydrostatic and a ram is fitted to the axle to do steering and power assistance in one, seems pretty reliable on our two tractors and is well up behind the axle out of the way from damage etc. Can't remember if you could take it off the axle or if it is part of the casing though. Downside is that if you blow a hose you lose all steering and I am not sure whether hydrostatic steering with no mechanical link is road legal on anything apart from tractors :unsure:

ML is looking darned good though :)