2100Kgs struggling

Hi all,

Just took a boat out the slipway weighing 2100kg with trailer. I havent done my trailer test yet but took it up the private road for him for someone else to pick him up. Its the first time i have had anything like that on the 90 and boy did it seem to stuggle especially when trying to get momentum for a 1-2nd change. The slipway was ok but the private road with a slight incline was a nightmare.

Is this normal??

Many thanks in advance

Up the slipway yes. But not on the road - it was fine in first but the change to second was only possible up the slight incline by slipping the clutch. Low ratio was fine yeah no prob - still not too good with low to high on the fly - find it hard to stop grinding (see thread a while back that i posted). So should i need low for that weight 2100kg??

Were you using low ratio?

Are you sure it was 2100 kgs? Boats often end up heavier with all the stuff inside.

With a heavy trailer the technique of changing from low to high on the move is really useful.

Surely you mean HI RATIO for a low gear.

Hi ratio=low box

Low ratio=high box.

Don't worry. Even Land Rover or most journalists don't know the difference.

mike

Hi all,

Just took a boat out the slipway weighing 2100kg with trailer. I havent done my trailer test yet but took it up the private road for him for someone else to pick him up. Its the first time i have had anything like that on the 90 and boy did it seem to stuggle especially when trying to get momentum for a 1-2nd change. The slipway was ok but the private road with a slight incline was a nightmare.

Is this normal??

Many thanks in advance

Hi

Me thinks you have a problem have towed a 3500kg twin axle trailer loaded to its max across europe and the alps with a 200tdi 90, and it coped okay

regards

keith

Towing 2100 kg with a Defender should not be a problem. You could use low range for starting on an incline/boat ramp/soft ground, but should be able to switch to high when everything is in motion. I towed 3500 kg and more with my TD5 90, without a problem.

It does however takes some getting used to. You need to build up a bit more revs before changing up a gear, especially uphill as you'll lose more speed and want to keep the engine firmly in it's powerband.

When I tow my loaded car trailer with the Range Rover DT, I tend to shift gear at 3000 rpm, compared to 2000 rpm for normal, relaxed driving. Off course you'll notice the engine working harder, but that's to be expected when you double the weight.

Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it soon enough. ;)

Towing 2100 kg with a Defender should not be a problem. You could use low range for starting on an incline/boat ramp/soft ground, but should be able to switch to high when everything is in motion. I towed 3500 kg and more with my TD5 90, without a problem.

It does however takes some getting used to. You need to build up a bit more revs before changing up a gear, especially uphill as you'll lose more speed and want to keep the engine firmly in it's powerband.

When I tow my loaded car trailer with the Range Rover DT, I tend to shift gear at 3000 rpm, compared to 2000 rpm for normal, relaxed driving. Off course you'll notice the engine working harder, but that's to be expected when you double the weight.

Just keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it soon enough. ;)

As escape said at first it can be strange.

But also boats weight and accutal weight can be two differant things, after all i bet the 2100 was dry or what the shop said it weigh. and not with all the carp in it or the fact it will have water in the hull after you have dragged it out of the sea

BTW Eascape nice dog pic :)

The other thing to consider is how good were the wheel bearings in the trailer? If they hadn't been serviced within the past few hours :huh: they could start to jam up under heavy weights - leading to hugely increased rolling resistance. Wheel bearings and salt water REALLY don't mix...

Its not my boat, its a mates but the trailer is ummm under the weather - to put it a nice way. So i am hoping that that was the problem. Landy doesnt have much in it just a few bits and bobs so it would have been interesting to see it on a weigh bridge.