Rainforest Murca 2008 Setember - Portugal

Hello, I am now feeling that I must be very bored and lonely to be posting replies on this forum but anyway, Day 5 was fairly uneventful but there was I think 3 stages during the day which they both got through well. They went back to camp had grub and then went out to do the final night stage. This event is different in a way as you are not allowed to walk a section before the time starts so in effect going into it blind. The kept the worst until last and it was the deep water hole!!!!!Paul said that he was upto his nipples in smelly water, he hates water so imagine that he was pooing himself, but he completed the stage and Jim did also. They finished the night stuff at 1.30pm and then went off to the presentations, this went on until 3am but was a great laugh by all accounts. Jim and Adrian took 4th place and Paul and Nev were in 5th. Paul and Nev also won the spirit of the event trophy so are really chuffed with the results. Nev and Paul found some Portugese bar that stayed open all night and got Jim to taxi them there, and stay up all night they did, they watched the sunrise and then went to bed!!!! They now on the long journey home!

Sounds like a tough event, they were not carrying Spare CV's shafts then!? Im suprised that the new steering box broke that was suposed to be a really strong box.

Hope Adrians foot is ok and they have a better day tomorrow.

Hi Chris, Jim and Martin shared the spares between the two cars so they did not have to carry everything but when Martin withdrew from the competition Jim could not then take his spares from Martins car as this would be considered outside assisitance as Martin was no longer in the comp, but Jim did have CV's and managed to borrow shafts from another competitor.

Hi,

I think that those who came will let us all now how they felt at end. As organizer I wish to congratulate all specially due to the "honest" competition carried out by the 3 teams who arrived from UK. (plus the reporter from who a keep a very good memory and personal friendship)

In my personal opinion, they made the competition worthwile!!! (And made me wake up early and full of energy just to see them run!!!!) Unbelivable spirit of those guys!

Hope to see you guys soon and of course I'll stop by the forum to read your comments as they will allow us to improve for next year!!! (that's my promise!)

The final classification:

incritosclassificacao_ap.jpg

PS: did you knew that Jim and Adrian had no steering????? :D:D:D:D:D

Agostinho

PS: thanks for the shirt. Iy will be used kindly in hope of carring some of your competition spirit with it!

PS: did you knew that Jim and Adrian had no steering????? :D:D:D:D:D

Agostinho

PS: thanks for the shirt. Iy will be used kindly in hope of carring some of your competition spirit with it!

Hello Agostinho, I am Gustavo, the spanish photographer with a Defender Black.

Jim had a half steering!, they can turn to right but not to left. Congratulations for Jim and Marsden!.

Here some photos, soon all photos in forum www.clublandrovertt.org.

dsc0528sd8.jpg

dsc0254zp5.jpg

dsc0287es3.jpg

dsc0377ux1.jpg

Hello everyone.

here are some more pictures in the site of PRORAID

http://www.proraid.com/component/option,co...temid,45/gid,9/

The "mates" from England, were outstanding in all the ways. Some Portuguese should learn somethings with them. I hope they have had fun. We tried to make then feel at home (we even let then win some SS :lol::lol::lol: ).

Gustavo, fotografias muito boas, como sempre um profissional.

Filipe Santos

Estrada Real

Portugal

We got back last night, if you take out the boat trip it's the same driving distance going to the Tay for us down south :P

Great event, great people, great place :) this year the weather suited us as it was overcast and rained :rolleyes: section's were way, way to easy for this type of high profile event.......... they need to raise the bar.

There was way way way to much waiting about, we sat at lunch on 1 day for 2hr's and then did a quick section plus some road book then sat for 4hr's .......... god that was boring :rolleyes:

As for our event we came in 4th.... happy with that as we damanged the steering box on day 2 after hitting a bridge wall and a large rock in the river :rolleyes: so we had no right turn for the rest of the event :rolleyes::lol:

I'll be going back next year in my new car so if anybody want's to join me your more than wellcome, hopefully the sun will shine next year :lol:

It was good to meet so many people that hopefully will become long time friends.... Filipe ( cant stay on my wheels) Santos, what a great guy, how do you stay so clean ;):lol::P Plus triple hole.... who was shot :o not long before the event started, hense the name :ph34r: Agostinho your a top bloke, we gave you hell :P hope you recover :lol:

Must mention Jonny on here as he help us with so much, down to getting the beer's in and sorting out the marshall's for us........ see you next year matey, if any of you are comeing over just let me know, your welcome at mine anytime.

If anybody want's to know more about the event for next year then get in touch and i'll run through it with you.

I'm sure KBE will be along with some pic's/video as he took load's :o

Thats all for now more later.........

Well...........

Did anyone mention the steering box........? :lol:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Great fun, great people, amazing country.

As Adrain says the sections where a little easy but as a whole the event was wonderful, Special well done to the challenger boys for bringing back some silverware (Team spirit) and a big Thank you to Filipe Santos, Johnny and Agga's for really helping us and bending over backwards (Adrain loved that bit :lol: ) to help where ever possible.

The Winners deserve a big thank you as well, they lent us a short side halfshaft allowing us to complete the event with some diginty. Even when they knew it could have cost them if they had problems later.

The transit stages were breath taking drives across stuuning mountains that stretch out for ever (55 km in one day) and then hospitaility was great, with wine flowing freely and food in plenty.

We will go back.

This is not an expensive event to take part in and the prizes are huge. A sensibly preppared 90 with two winchs and Simex will be very competive here which opens this event up to all comers.

They are prizes down to 10th place (500euro) and with only 10 finishing ouit of the near thirty starters that is a realistic target.There was a lot lost in translation on the rules, but now we know we can advise if anyone fancys having a go.

Fancy something different? Give it a go :D

Jim

Ps: Did i tell you i couldn't turn right? :ph34r::lol:

PPS: Andy, the prize money was going to pay for the hair transplant :rolleyes: next time...... :lol:

What a week, Adrian and Jim pretty much say it all.

Great scenery, great competition and hopefully some long time friendships made.

We need to send more teams out there next year, it will be an experience you wouldn't forget.

I've got over 1200 pics to sort through, but i'll pop a couple up now to give you an idea.

Nev Assisting another team during a special stage

DSC_0038.jpg

Adrian getting ready for a hard day.

DSC_0073.jpg

He was looking at this!

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

Jim fully commited

DSC_0203.jpg

Yet another very quick stage time.

DSC_0212.jpg

Martin managing to find some mud.

DSC_0313.jpg

Paul easing his way through

DSC_0560.jpg

Martin commiting to the obstacle

DSC_0657.jpg

Nev getting supplies

DSC_0108.jpg

Prizegiving

DSC_0363.jpg

We blagged our way onto the bridge of the fastest ferry in the world as she docked in the UK.

DSC_0407.jpg

Hello Adrian, good pics!.

These photo have been funny for me. I am the photographer in the center of the photo with yellow shirt.

DSC_0203.jpg

And here the first photo:

rainforest20082429zv3.jpg

one second after

rainforest20082430xg2.jpg

rainforest20082431im8.jpg

rainforest20082432iq5.jpg

And finally, my first fresh shower in four days!, thanks Jim! hi hi.

rainforest20082433rc3.jpg