How to prep ali chequer plate for paint

MogLite

I'm going to paint some of MogLites chequer plate satin black.

I'm going to spray etch-primer and then satin black transport enamel.

How do I prep the 2nd hand plate for paint, obviously I can't sand it

I was thinking a bit of a scub with wirewool, maybe with some sugar soap to clean and de-grease.

Any thoughts ?

I was thinking a bit of a scub with wirewool, maybe with some sugar soap to clean and de-grease.

Any thoughts ?

sand blast and as quickly as possible etch primmer? thats what my powder coater does

I'd just hit it with thinners and wire wool, if you use a brush make sure its brand new and degrease it first, use the same thinners as you will be spraying with and give it enough time to try to avoid thinner pop on the paint, excess thinners can then be sold to local yoofs to further reduce braincell count :D

Use a chemical tp prepare it. If you use wire wool you will be putting pieces of steel into the ally, hence you are asking for corrosion due to dissimilar metal (galvanic) action.

Galvanic action only occurs in a moist slightly acidic environment, with the plate cleaned and dried before sealing with paint its biblically unlikely - unless you are Tig welding the ally and you are worried about weld contamination then its not an issue - you could get groovey and use a stainless wire brush if its that much of a concern though.

Use petrol as a prep and you leave an oily residue which even the best detergents wont completely shift (especially in any scratches) - some paints are insensitive to it but many are - use the thinners you will be painting with and you dont have the worry of a reaction,

The plate Andys got isnt new so its got a pattena to it anyway, the scouring marks he may leave with wire wool will be oblitorated with transport enamel in comparison to the scarring already there, by the time he has a primer coat and the topcoat on you wont see a sausage :)

Any thoughts ?

PM Ripley and ask him.

Dave

My mate for ally landrover panels does the following:-

Sand with DA sander with fairly rough paper.

Tack rag off to remove dust wipe down with panel wipe.

Spray with phosphoric acid and allow to dry. (this will give the ally a yellow tinge)

Etch prime in the usual way, and then spray as normal.

If you just etch prime it the paint just falls off the first time you pressure wash it! Paint sprayed in this way even stayed stuck to Nigel Hybrid!

Jon

Yes, it may well be "biblically" unlikely to get galvanic corrosion when sealed with paint;however, I would ask how long paint stays in pristine condition on a hard-worked off-road vehicle. You then only need a little moisture and off you go. Worn paint looks okay, rusty streaks less so.

we paint a lot of ally chequer plate, all we do is rub it down with red scotchbrite & degreaser, etch prime & then paint, a good etch primer (ie spies hecker, ici, glasurit, a automotive brand)will bite into un-keyed ally, because of the acid content, so as long as its clean the keying isnt really a problem.

graham

Well I spent the weekend spraying, using a combination of all the advice above, not because I know best, but because of what I had to hand, and how much time and effort I was willing to spend

• Wire wool and white spirit to clean the surface
  • Pressure wash off remnants of wire wool
  • Dry
  • Wipe with etch-primer thinners
  • Etch prime
  • Top coat

Remains to be seen if it will last, but as the transport enamel for the top coat isn't even dry after 12hrs, it will be a while before I'm pressure washing it to death.

Thanks for al the tips

• 8 years later...