Scorpion Racing Half Shafts - yay or nay ?

zim

Hi !

I've been offered some 24 spline scorpion rear halfshafts with endcaps for not a lot of money..... But i've not heard of them before.

Are they ok or do i stay clear (which the voices in my head are telling me!)

Cheers

Gordon

Hmmmm

Maybe yes maybe no (thats whats called a balanced answer :lol:).....

Not everything Scrapion is junk, you need to see if you can work out who is actaully the manufactuer, it could even be ashcrofts, judging by a picture I saw long time ago where some drive flanges looked very Ashcroft to me, or were they too just copies :( ?

Maybe worth asking about as to who is the real maker / supplier ??

Nige

it could even be ashcrofts, judging by a picture I saw long time ago where some drive flanges looked very Ashcroft to me, or were they too just copies :( ?

Maybe worth asking about as to who is the real maker / supplier ??

Nige

I was under the impression they were Ashcroft but I could be wrong.

well i phoned up scorpion, and i'm still none the wiser who make their shafts...... hmmmmm

Drop Ashcrofts a mail and see if they still supply them. If they don't then I wouldn't bother taking the risk, knowing SR's business practices, like getting cheap ***t in from China and giving the impression it was Staun.

Cheers

Steve

They only 'gave the impression' even allegedly, though I heard it was more sure than that...

Today I went to buy a carving knife (as they are legal here :) ) and bought one with 'Richards Sheffield' on it. On getting it home I discovered it said on the blade (in small letters) 'from' and (in large letters) 'Richards Sheffield'. On the cardboard cover is says 'designed in Sheffield' and made from 'parts sourced worldwide' (or something like that). I suppose this means it is made in India or China. They don't even have the grace to say exactly where the bits are made.

It seems to be quite sharp though. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi !

I've been offered some 24 spline scorpion rear halfshafts with endcaps for not a lot of money..... But i've not heard of them before.

Are they ok or do i stay clear (which the voices in my head are telling me!)

Cheers

Gordon

A friend of mine in Bulgaria has fitted them to his modified D90 TD5 2005 model year and won second place in this year's Transylvania Trophy. On the third day they had to change the longer rear one but he said that it was totally his fault and he overabused (what a word this one....) the transmission above logical limits.

Since you can have them for not a lot of money together with the end caps I guess they are good enough.

Mind you I cooperate with SR as their Greek representative so there is a connection.

On the other hand if something is not good for us LR owners and users I am not afraid to say so or propose something up to the job according to the makers specifications, guarantee scheme and experience gained by using them.

(you will see why I say that, most probably in the following days..... Has anyone checked what has happened to the topic related to another manufacturer of halfshafts by the way? it is apparently locked)

Take care

Pantelis Giamarellos

Or even making cheap copies of the X-brake and then trying to make out that the cheap bits were a virtue ;)

Mo

A very sad and complicated story this one.

Does anyone have the time or will to say what has happened?

Unfortunately though it happens all the time with people and companies copying each other.

I have good connections with both of them so hearing it from a third party is a good thing. Mind you I never asked them because getting information from two opposing parties is like getting no information at all before you get a third party's advise.

In any case though we as buyers are free to chose and the seller with the best quality/price ratio usually gets our money. And this is where fora like this one and the others and opinions from fellow enthusiasts really mater.

Take care

Pantelis Giamarellos

LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE