Death of a 90?

Well, it's happened. My pre mot checks have left me with the distinct feeling it may be time to say goodbye. Bearing in mind that it's had a new rear chassis at some point and the bulkhead needs at least repair panels if not replacing, the fact that both rear spring mounts need doing might be the final nail. One of the mounts is actually peeling away and taking a chunk of the chassis with it. Not good. There are a few other holes in awkward places, nothing too big, but awkward. Basically, a new chassis wouldn't be a bad idea, methinks. The gearbox has a worn selector fork on 3rd. Still drives if you've got the knack, but wants sorting. On the plus side, the panels are all dead straight, it's got disk brakes front and back, +2 springs and decarbon shocks, mantec wheel carrier, decent 750 tires, steering guard, diff guard, a bit of checker plate, various new bits like radiator, fuel tank sender. All very nice, but is it enough to justify a lot of tricky welding / rechassising on what's basically an old h reg 90? So do i break it, sell it as a project or what? I can't afford to restore it myself, but it seems too good to cut up. What's it worth in bits or to sell on as it is? Any advice would be much appreciated.

you would make more if you break it. i would sell the extra's like the steering guard and checker plate off. then if you have time take out the enigine if it is a 200tdi because if it is in good condish can be sold fout up to £`1000. i would then sell the rest of the car as a project. maybe sell seats separetely if they are good. thanks

It doesn't sound too bad ! Rechassising is a big job but not overwhelming and if you used a galv chassis then you would have a superb base for future ownership. If the gearbox is tolerable then that can wait until you are ready. A new bulkhead is a couple of hundred quid, a big chunk of money but far less than the difference between what you'll get breaking it and the cost of another 90 even allowing for the galv chassis too.

If you do break it, can I have first dibs on your wings ;)

Mo

you would make more if you break it. i would sell the extra's like the steering guard and checker plate off. then if you have time take out the enigine if it is a 200tdi because if it is in good condish can be sold fout up to £`1000. i would then sell the rest of the car as a project. maybe sell seats separetely if they are good. thanks

If you can get a 1000 quid for a 200TDI engine I'd sell mine like a shot. I think that you are hoping a bit there. Closer to the 500 or below I reckon :(

Hmm. Lots to chew on there! I'd love to do a rebuild and i have a mate who rents a couple of fields for his donkeys and there are a couple of buildings on there i could strip it down in. I suppose if you price it up for chassis and bulkhead plus probably every bolt on the motor plus new bushes, doors maybe, seat box definately etc etc. It's looking at being a very expensive job and i just aint got the money. With all the land rover thefts you hear of, why has nobody pinched mine!

work on approx £2k for a galvanised chassis and replacement bulkhead with all the bits and pieces

how do i know - just ordered one

Mmm, £2k,, and only just on the ordering side,, be interested to hear the final bill , and see how close to the budget it come out at !!

Can see a "How To" re chassis archive thread coming :o

Am sure you will have plenty of time whilst head scratching, to take the pictures :lol:

Mmm, £2k,, and only just on the ordering side,, be interested to hear the final bill , and see how close to the budget it come out at !!

Can see a "How To" re chassis archive thread coming :o

Am sure you will have plenty of time whilst head scratching, to take the pictures :lol:

it was £1500 chassis + £250 bulkhead so £250 'float' currently

:(:(:unsure::unsure:

James,

Your not really going to let Walfy loose on your car are you? :huh::huh:

Well i emailed all my friends to ask if they could help - nothing came back

then i emailed all the people on the works distr offering to pay them to come and help - still nothing

at this point i should of taken the hint

so i gave up

then i saw a poor injured, workless, lonely sole last weekend walking around with no one to care for him so i asked him if he wanted something to do for a week in Nov! Walfy said OK and has agreed to pay me £100 a day which i thought would probably go some way towards the cost of fixing what he breaks........ :ph34r:

it was £1500 chassis + £250 bulkhead so £250 'float' currently

Well i emailed all my friends to ask if they could help - nothing came back

then i emailed all the people on the works distr offering to pay them to come and help - still nothing

at this point i should of taken the hint

so i gave up

then i saw a poor injured, workless, lonely sole last weekend walking around with no one to care for him so i asked him if he wanted something to do for a week in Nov! Walfy said OK and has agreed to pay me £100 a day which i thought would probably go some way towards the cost of fixing what he breaks........ :ph34r:

:rofl: