Springs

mwy1964

Hi All, getting close to start rebuilding the running gear on my 1983 88" Series 3 and it is in dire need of springs replacing. O.S front has collapsed and the rest are basically rusted up, with probably little or no spring action happening.

My initial thoughts were just to replace the originals like for like with springs from Paddocks, then looking at it last night I realised I could buy Parabolics from Paddocks for around £60 extra by the time you throw in U bolts etc for standard springs. So I suppose I would like to understand the pros and cons of Parabolics over Standard springs, given that the Landie is nothing more than a dog carrier and shooting brake and will probably not do more than 5K miles PA. Also who/where is the best place to buy either spring type from in terms of best performance vs value.

Having done a search on the site there are a number of manufacturers stated but it appears some may no longer be in business or have moved away from Series parts or out of stock for the forseeable future.

My heart says Parabolics as they seem to be well rated on here, the head says standard as they will probably not be tested to the limit in general use.

Look forward to your responses

Mark

It's not about being tested to the limit, it's about keeping your teeth in your skull :lol: parabolics give a comfier ride. As for which ones to choose, you pretty much get what you pay for so pick a price.

So anyone have the Paddock Parabolics that would care to share a review...

Or am I being tight and should look elsewhere.. :ph34r:

I have allmakes ones that i bought from either paddocks or craddocks years ago (cant remember which). Overall I'm very happy with them.

I've also heard good things said about the rocky mountain ones.

However I've not heard a good thing said for the chris perfect ones so........

You also need to change the shocks to pro-comps really as the stock ones arent up to it!

Jon

So anyone have the Paddock Parabolics that would care to share a review...

Or am I being tight and should look elsewhere.. :ph34r:

I've been using Paddock Parabolics (Britpart) on my 109 and although the ride is more comfortable I did not like the 'spongy' handling on motorways. At my 'new' 88 I will now replace the shot rear springs with standard leave springs.

Cheers

Marco

I agree with the 2 posts above, I put some 'no name' papras on mine, not because I couldnt afford good ones but because they are harder to get hold of than advertising suggests. The new springs raised every corner by greatly differing degrees making the vehicle look really wonky when unladen (its a swb truck cab). Only after many months of personal anguish and driving with strategically placed weights in the back, is it starting to settle level. It sits very high, and this is exagerated by the 90 wheels it rolls on. It also wallows in corners and handles like a surfboard. If I could choose again I would buy standard leaf springs, better yet, good condition 2nd hand. Also, the tips you hear to level it (half load it before torquing the bolts, drive a rough road then torque the bolts etc) dont work, dont waste your time! Just my opinion though.. ;)

Like with all things, you get what you pay for. TI Console and RM make good springs, but here are other makes, especially the "unbranded" ones, whose quality are poor. As for the handling, a lot depneds on the dampers you fit with the springs and your tryes.

Many expect miracles from the new springs, even though they have retained their original dampers to save a few pounds. the original dampers can't cope with parabolics, but many ignore the advice and then blame the springs. The same applies to drivers who are using old cross-plies at low pressure - the tyres will undo any benefits in handling gained by better springs.

My 109 uses radial tyres, HD TIC springs and Proconp ES9000 dampers. the handling was nice and tight, though it seems to have gone softer recently, especially since the Alps trip. I suspect the dampers have failed - Procopms are good when working well, but they don't seem to last, despite their life-time warranty.

Best comfort upgrade I have found is tyres.

I've just got standard springs - which I'm very happy with, but the ride was always a little rough on my 7.50R16's, I've just upgraded to 235/85/16 MT Tyres and the road handling has improved 10 fold, small bumps in the road are just not felt now and speed bumps can be taken at 30mph instead of 10mph.

I've only ever been in a series with parabolics once (and that put me off) so can't really comment too much based on one experience but my advice would be to get decent tyres first. A series with decent MT tyres on standard springs will outperform a series on AT tyres on parabolics.

As the original poster only wants it for a dog carrier/shooting car I would only recommend standard springs

Best comfort upgrade I have found is tyres.

I've just got standard springs - which I'm very happy with, but the ride was always a little rough on my 7.50R16's, I've just upgraded to 235/85/16 MT Tyres and the road handling has improved 10 fold, small bumps in the road are just not felt now and speed bumps can be taken at 30mph instead of 10mph.

I am coming around, yet again, to just going with standard springs... The challenge, as with anything for this Series 3, being who to purchase them from for the best quality and price. As Sotal has said it it will only be used to do local work for shooting and dog carrying. Having spent a couple of hours with the shoot captain, of the new shoot I am working the dog on, on Sunday and seeing some of the drives we have to get too, tyre type will be far more important... Nothing extreme just boggy mud, grass and farm tracks.

So do 235/85/16 fit with standard springs and hangers?

And finally to tip me in favour of one or the other spring types do Allmakes still offer Parabolics - And any experience of them out there?

Also the same for British Springs, who still have failed to return my calls or emails?

Who is the best manufacturer or vendor of standard springs?

Many thanks

Mark

So do 235/85/16 fit with standard springs and hangers?

Depending on the offset of the wheels, either "yes definitely" or "yes but you may need to adjust your steering stops". 235/85R16 is just a metric version of 7.50R16. Some run 255/75(ish) which are fatter.

Depending on the offset of the wheels, either "yes definitely" or "yes but you may need to adjust your steering stops". 235/85R16 is just a metric version of 7.50R16. Some run 255/75(ish) which are fatter.

255 sound even better... More flotation given the ground... Given that I want to keep the vehicle standard looking will these fit on the current Series rims (I think not) so if not can I run Defender rims, which from memory are wider (6.5" rings a bell somewhere) on the series 3 without any mods to the hubs etc.... The vehicle is a 1983 Series 3 would the standard rims have tubed tyres, currently running a very worn set of Bridgestone Desert Duellers with no obvious indication of tubes or not...

I've just put a new set of 7.5 r 16 avon rangemasters and have to report that I'm delighted with them - quiet, capable of coping with the mixed driving I do - farm tracks and on road.

Economical too - my standard LWB 2286 petrol does 20 plus to the gallon!

Fairly comfortable, as they are a radial version.

And they look right for a series.

But to answer your question:

The technical by the book advice:

If it isn't a tubeless rim then fit a tube. Safety is too important to take a chance.

The Std LWB rim is 5.5 x 16. Mind you, my tyre fitter said they are actually a 6" wide rim - and his gauge for the balancing machine proved it.

Putting a 235/85 16 tubeless with a tube is ok for this rim, so long as the tyre is designed for tube use (michelin, for example). Any wider is not a good idea.

Many people don't bother with a tube and get away with it, I wouldn't - I've natural bad luck.

An alternative is a set of "take off" tyres and rims from a recent defender, where somewhere has swapped their std rims for alloys or something.

These recent defenders are on tubeless rims. And fit fine on the series III.

Watch ebay, get in contact with your local 4x4 tyre place, and your land rover dealer too.

G.

235/85R16's are often quoted as the metric version of the 7.50R16 but they're not really, they're just the closest match. My 235's are just over 2 inches wider and about a bit taller than the 7.50's they replaced. So they're fatter straight away.

The 255's are another 20mm fatter but won't fit on standard rims

I had to adjust my steering stops to get it through the mot (read that as snap off the old rusty steering stops then have to mess about for two hours to get the snapped bit out - then replace with new bolts) The side lugs on mine just caught on the rear, there happened to be a spring clamp in just the wrong place

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

What did you decide on? Just to add my 2p worth. I have a 74 ex MoD 109. It was on standard H/D well rusted springs when I got it and there was virtually no suspension movement unless it was loaded and even then it hardly flexed at all. I stripped it, rebushed it, all new bolts and U bolts and fitted paras - Rocky Mountain up front and Paddock/Craddock Blue on the back with Pro Comp +2" dampers. It sits square and slightly higher and the ride, articulation and control on and off road is much better. The Pro Comps are in my opinion the weakest part of this - they are too stiff under load and not stiff enough on the rebound. A better damper would improve things again I'm sure. Also it is very easy to fit the Pro Comp dampers upside down - (up front on a 109 and both ends on an 88 - the rears on a 109 can only go on one way round.) If you fit them the same way as the old one came off you have fitted them upside down and oil drains away from where it should be and there is no, none at all, damping action - I know - I did it! The thing was like a Kangaroo. As for tyres I now have a set of 130 rims (6.5 x 16) with 9.00 x 16 Michelin XCL's. Lovely!

One last thing - one of the best and easiest upgrades to any Series Land Rover is to fit a steering damper - steering seems unfeasable stiff at first but you get used to it and all the shake and shimmy dissapears completely.

If any one can suggest a better damper I would like to hear from them.

Cheers

NigelM