V8 oil pump probs

bobtail84

Went out dataloging yesterday morning then parked the car in workshop and went to work. Back from work this evening so car stood for about 30hrs, car started on the button but NO oil pressure showing on gauge and red idiot light on dash stayed on... Stopped motor pronto. Took dizzy out and used a special LR tool to spin oil pump with drill. Oil pressure back up and idiot light out & no probs at the moment. Will check 1st thing in morning but has any one a clue as to why the oil drained down. No oil on floor and on the high mark on stick. :unsure::unsure:

If the oil pressure was zero when you started i would expect to hear knocking after a matter of seconds. It may have been a partially sticking open pressure relief valve reducing pressure to the point where the light comes on but just enough to provide some lube to the bearing shells.

I don't want to get too technical, but have you checked the dipstick? :ph34r:

The 1 in the engine or steering the car... :lol: yep I've checked the stick and its still got the full length and oil to the right marks.

I will check the sender and the gauge. Its the original RR fitment so....

I also it does sound like the pressure release valve so if no pressure this mornin I'll whip the pump off.

Thanks for the input, will keep y'all informed.

Jeff.

Do share - intrigued!

Know of one that puzzled many for a long time in a racer, turns out the srainer in the sump had sheared off !

The oil pump drive gear (long one) has a pressed in rod that does the driving, one got so hot the pump rod would give and spin just a bit now and again, oil pressure went from OK to nothing and back again in a matter of secs :blink: took some working out too

nige

Someone I know had a problem where a big lump of crud in the sump was getting picked up and would stick to the oil strainer, causing loss of pressure. Switch off, restart, it drops off and everything's fine again until you hit a certain RPM :lol:

Agree if you're using anything thinner than 15W40 you probably want to change back to something thicker.

Sounds like the oil pressure relief valve was not seated properly…………..may have been a bit of sh!t in there, but it is also a known problem area due to any scoring on the ali bore causing the valve bullet to stick. When this happens and the valve remains slightly open with the engine off, then oil will slowly drain from the pump housing to the sump.

I was using 20-50 duckams Q "for the older engine..." but ive run some flushing oil in the engine and now put 10-40 semi synthetic and new filter as recomended in the RR manwell... then a nice man told me ive wasted me hard earned and should change it for VR1.... I think i will leave it in for the rest of the week to act as a flush again.. just like i ment to.. :P By the way thanks for your top tip Nige.. :lol:

Bull Bar Cowboy

Sounds like the oil pressure relief valve was not seated properly

Had a look at the bullet but all looked fine so it probably was a bit of sh!t in there somewhere.

Jeff.

Sounds like the oil pressure relief valve was not seated properly…………..may have been a bit of sh!t in there, but it is also a known problem area due to any scoring on the ali bore causing the valve bullet to stick. When this happens and the valve remains slightly open with the engine off, then oil will slowly drain from the pump housing to the sump.

i've had this before, the prv sticking and thus no oil going round.

G

I always though the v8 pump wasnt very good at self primming hence the need to pack it with vaseline after a rebuild or very long standing, if that is right I'm surprised you managed to prime it by just turning the drive which makes me think, bad conection or faulty sender, what age is the R/R if it's older with a pressure gauge it should have 2 wires and 2 senders on the pump one for the light and one for the guage, not so sure about later ones.

As said it should have been clattering after a few seconds of running with no oil pressure.

I always though the v8 pump wasnt very good at self primming hence the need to pack it with vaseline after a rebuild or very long standing, if that is right I'm surprised you managed to prime it by just turning the drive which makes me think, bad conection or faulty sender, what age is the R/R if it's older with a pressure gauge it should have 2 wires and 2 senders on the pump one for the light and one for the guage, not so sure about later ones.

As said it should have been clattering after a few seconds of running with no oil pressure.

they prime just fine for me :) you can use vasaline if you want, but i just turn them with a drill or just turn it over with no spark if i'm being lazy !

G