lowering the roof line

I want to lower the roof line on my 90 by removing the section that holds the air vents on the bulkhead. This is approximatly 3".

It has series doors fitted with the tops removed so thats one less problem to overcome.

At the moment it has a truck cab fitted, but i want to scource a van back and trim that down and sell the cab.

My question is has anybody done this before, and are there any pictures or information to be found.

I have trawled the internet and found nothing.

Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

:rolleyes:

The head room is not an issue as i plan to mod the seatbox to compensate.

The main reason for lowering the roof is so it will fit in my garage due to an up and over door.

Plus i have never seen it done before.

I never use the vents anyway.

I want to lower the roof line on my 90 by removing the section that holds the air vents on the bulkhead. This is approximatly 3".

It has series doors fitted with the tops removed so thats one less problem to overcome.

At the moment it has a truck cab fitted, but i want to scource a van back and trim that down and sell the cab.

My question is has anybody done this before, and are there any pictures or information to be found.

I have trawled the internet and found nothing.

Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

:rolleyes:

Andy Sargent of AJS 4x4 did this years ago with a 100" (I think) Defender style racer. I am thinking around the time Bowlers first came on the scene.

I seem to recall the windscreen was raked back more than standard and the door tops modified to suit. The rear van sides were cut down too I guess. As for the seating height I don't know what was done.

Now waiting for someone who knows that truck to tell me I got it all wrong :rolleyes:

so chopping a landy roof and doing all the relevant fab' work is fine but a bit of DIY is a no no :blink::P

Or you do what I do and just drive in to the garage and let the car "shape" the up and over door to a nice curved profile! :lol:

I like the sound of that . a bit of destruction. :P

But i think the missus would have something to say about that.

I just hate doing DIY.

As Mickeyw says this has been done before on competition vehicles. I've seen one that had two inches taken out above the waistline and two below it plus raked screen all done to reduce frontal area and improve aerodynamics. You may scoff but even this would make a difference by reducing area by 240 square inches. When the racers used to 'de-seam' the origninal Minis that reduction of 100 square inches gave five mph.