Preparing a classic for mild off roading

cooper

Ok may seem like a silly question to some, but to someone like me who hasn't done off roading before, your information will be greatfuly received.

On a 3.9 efi auto with LPG what preperations are needed for mild off roading?

All help appreciated

Cheers

Shaun

theres a course near me called woodlands 4x4 and i'm going to start off on the white run and see whats what after that. so small ish water holes up and down bits ect ( sounds a bit vauge sorry )

yes i have the front skirt and fogs, so looks like they'll be going

and your tow bar (if fitted) will dig in very early and where is your gas tank located?

if like mine where it has had the fuel tank replaced with gas tanks i now have a small reserve petrol tank sticking down that would take a early bath off road so that would need attention too

rob

You'll want to be fairly careful then, the LPG tanks themselves aren't really the weak point, it's more the fittings / pipes that would be damaged if the tank took a hit and shifted about. Towpacks do dig in but they also protect your fuel tank & rear corners from hitting the ground so for initial exploration I'd say leave it in place.

The front valance unplugs and pops off by design so that's easy enough.

It all depends how far you go really - with stock axle breathers and no snorkel you don't want to be driving through water deeper than the top of the tyres, and preferably only doing that for a brief splash (EG not doing paddle steamer impressions), bear in mind your ECU is under your seat so if you sit in water for any length of time you could end up with issues.

If you're still on road tyres then those will limit how far you get more than anything.

Ok may seem like a silly question to some, but to someone like me who hasn't done off roading before, your information will be greatfuly received.

All help appreciated

Cheers

Shaun

Shaun

My Classic is geared up for exactly this level of off roading and I did the following:

Axle and gearbox breathers - a must

Timing case and flywheel wading plugs (take out when not off road)

Diff sliders front and rear (QT Services)

Tree sliders (Guardian)

New springs and shocks (Britpart but wouldn't recommend!) Don't bother lifting too high...the diff stays the same height off ground with "normal" size tyres anyway. Too much lift will cause no end of problems with steering geomerty and bushes wearing etc. Keep it simple.

Jate rings on rear (Paddocks)

Front steering guard (Paddocks)

Remove rear plough (the tow bar!) - replaced with a solid bumper with swivel tow point (Scorpion). It's never bottomed out...yet <_<

Tank guard (Scorpion)

Decent nylon tow rope and bridle for front (First four off road)

Remove front valence - 5min job

Fire extinguisher (Halfords)

Pictures of most of this kit are on my album page LINK

Hope that helps, good luck and enjoy!

Rob

Timing case and flywheel wading plugs (take out when not off road)

If you put a breather in a V8 timing case you tend to lose all the oil out of it :P that one's for TDi's only.

Tank guard (Scorpion)

Good idea, poor choice of supplier though :ph34r: southdown are nice if a bit pricey, the removable tow pack type are very groovy though. I'd hold off the urge to buy hundreds of pounds (and kilos) worth of underbody armour unless you feel the need once you get into it. Cheapo paddocks diff guards are a decent idea, steering guard is one option or there's beefed up steering bars instead. The guards can dig in sometimes, although they do help with the whole bow-wave thing through water.

Thanks for the time you it must of taken to reply Rob, i see yours is a tdi and mine is 3.9 efi...what do you need to do to water proof the elcetrics and also is any waterproofing needed on the LPG side of things?

Also thanks for all the other replies

Cheers

Shaun

what do you need to do to water proof the elcetrics and also is any waterproofing needed on the LPG side of things?

Waterproofing a standard V8 is a bit like herding cats, you can make them better but there is only one real cure - replace the distributor with coil packs. My dad does OK with an ice-cream tub over the dizzy and one over the coil, they deflect the worst of everything and it will put up with brief bonnet-deep dunkings or paddling round wheels-deep. Genuine leads, cap, plugs, rotor help, certainly until you've got a snorkel on it you shouldn't be going deep enough to cause too much trouble. Keep it clean, a spray with WD40 beforehand, a sluice out with clean water (esp. through the alternator) afterwards, run it up to temperature to dry and then douse with WD40 to prevent corrosion. Spray white grease or battery terminal protector stuff over things can help.

I'm sure you've already got the jist that there is a wide range of choices when it comes to off road preperation and everyone has there own views, experiances, preferances, driving style etc.

I definately agree with FridgeFreeze's first comment about recovery points. A towball on the rear with built in clevis works well on a standard RRC, but the front tie down or towing points are not suitable as recovery points. Obviously recovery points are superfluace without a rope etc to attach to them, though if you start doing your off roading with an experianced group then there should be plenty of people to hand with the equipment to recovey you if you get stuck. After all the rope is superflance without another vehicle to attach it to.

You can have lots of fun* with a RRC off road without doing any modifications (even with th plough on the back). Just keep to the manufactures recomendations/limits on wading etc.

*assuming that is what you doing this for.

All help appreciated

Cheers

Shaun

Rock sliders are a must for most off roading. My disco now has a banna shaped sill and bend door bottom. Going to remove sill comlpetely and replace with some nice box section. If you hunt around you can get them for under 200 quid well worth it for the protection

Not sure if they are the same but i have running boards on there already

Running boards will not have any strength if you balance 2 tonnes of Range Rover on them, rock sliders are a bit stronger as their name suggests. If your sills are getting a bit ropey you can kill two birds with one stone and replace them with some sturdy box section, although that does mean welding. Personally I wouldn't class sliders (or indeed any other armour) as an essential for basic off-roading if you know your limits and drive carefully. It all costs money and it all adds weight. Obviously with the LPG situation you need to be a bit more wary of bottoming out on things, so rock sliders would be higher up the wish-list than normal.

I've got a Disco preped for mild off-roading...

I fitted a basic tank guard after caving the bottom of the tank in several times on rocks, its quite vulnerable where it is....

First off i'd make sure you have proper recovery points front and rear, a decent tow rope and proper rated shackles.

If you then get yourself a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, a shovel and some decent boots and gloves you are ready for a day out at woodlands, just take it easy and avoid deep water or anything which will hit the underside of your truck...

Running boards will not have any strength if you balance 2 tonnes of Range Rover on them, rock sliders are a bit stronger as their name suggests. If your sills are getting a bit ropey you can kill two birds with one stone and replace them with some sturdy box section, although that does mean welding. Personally I wouldn't class sliders (or indeed any other armour) as an essential for basic off-roading if you know your limits and drive carefully. It all costs money and it all adds weight. Obviously with the LPG situation you need to be a bit more wary of bottoming out on things, so rock sliders would be higher up the wish-list than normal.

My tree sliders (basically rock sliders with a rail added) have saved my sills and doors on a number of occasions. Only damage has been to bottom of rear wing behind the wheel but this is inevitable :rolleyes:

Guardian tree sliders bolt onto chassis outriggers and through the sill. Took me 2.5 hours to fit both and I'm a marine biologist not an engineer :lol:

Excellent thanks for all the helpful advice will have to start looking out for/ fabricating some bits and pieces.

Cheers

Shaun

P.S. Timmymac yes it is the Woodlands center near Brands as i am very local to there ;)

oh right .yeah not to far away myself havent been there in my range rover but last time i went i took a lada niva with 2" lift , mud terrains and home mad snorkel and it was fine on all the course except the real deep water, dont no if the course has changed but i would say you dont need to go mad on bits till you find out if you like it. there will be plenty to keep you busy. even the car park area if its wet enough ( saw a few people get stuck there at the end off the day ) good luck

oh right .yeah not to far away myself havent been there in my range rover but last time i went i took a lada niva with 2" lift , mud terrains and home mad snorkel and it was fine on all the course except the real deep water, dont no if the course has changed but i would say you dont need to go mad on bits till you find out if you like it. there will be plenty to keep you busy. even the car park area if its wet enough ( saw a few people get stuck there at the end off the day ) good luck

Cheers Timmymac i can't wait to get there, i'm really looking forwards to it