90 Drum to Disc

My brother has just got a 90, drum rear brakes G reg.

I've suggested disc brakes on the rear and can get a disco axle.

Will the axle casing be the same, i.e. just change the ends or is it a complete axle swap.

I know probably not much in it for time but am interested.

My brother has just got a 90, drum rear brakes G reg.

I've suggested disc brakes on the rear and can get a disco axle.

Will the axle casing be the same, i.e. just change the ends or is it a complete axle swap.

I know probably not much in it for time but am interested.

Complete axle change is fairly easy to do. I'm not sure the ends will swap over anway.

straight swap over of the whole axle is easiest

Hi Guys,

I am planning to do the same thing.

But my RR axle doesnt have any diff or drive shafts. Could i use the internals from the 90 axle? Or would there be issues with shaft length or other probs?

(Complete axles are bit of a scarce item around here!)

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

I am planning to do the same thing.

But my RR axle doesnt have any diff or drive shafts. Could i use the internals from the 90 axle? Or would there be issues with shaft length or other probs?

(Complete axles are bit of a scarce item around here!)

Cheers.

you can use the diff, not sure wether the half shaft would be the right length though

hi im not sure but i think youll also probs want to check that the replacement axle and the exixting axle have matching diff ratios on the diff's!

just a thought

jack

all 90/110/RR Classic/Discovery have the same ratio in the diffs 3.54:1 so swapping axles isn't a problem from the diff ratio.

Dose anything need to be done with the brake system its self as the balance vales are different for drums and discs.

Hi Patch,

Its a bit of a grey area in terms of braking, I asked this a while ago as I wanted disk brakes on my 1985 90 (I am still in the middle of rebuilding the project and went with a RR Clasic rear axle).

Some people left the pressure reduction valve in place (at the bulkhead) to maintain the braking bias and some people removed it.

Some who removed it reported the rear axle locking under heavy braking and some didn't.

I am goiing to leave mine on once complete (its a rolling two year project :D ) and remove it if necassary.

This may appear to be a bit of hit and miss however the good news is you can buy a variable pressure valve (used for kit cars etc) and tweak the pressure to suit the rear axle as needed.

These were actually cheaper than I expected and could get them new for approx £20 of eBay.

HTH

Cheers

Grant :)