Best method for altering diff offset?

Steve 90

Looking into the possibility of altering diff off set on a rear axle (from cetral to LR offset) and have been thinking about the best way to do it. So far ive come up with:

1. Mount axle on a Jig (tack welded or bolted via diff) with the ctr line of the axle parallel to a datum and hub flanges square. Cut ends off as necessary swap, line up, weld and strengthen as needed. Would need a huge solid lump of steel/jig and could be a bit fiddly to get right, especially with the weld pulling everything out of line.

or 2 (my preferred method) Mount the axle on ctr in a lathe, turn the required amount of the outer tube either side to a good finish, cut, bore a sleeve to fit snugly over machined part of axle and assemble/weld up. Only problem with this is my lathe is about 6" too short!!!!!

So anyone any other idea's???

Cheers.

Steve.

Yep, And a good thought. is it cheaper to buy the transfer box than have two half shafts made??? Will the atlas fit the back of a ZF auto??

I spoke to Rakeway about getting one off halfshafts made and was told that it is a quick way to spend lots of money!

Marc.

What axle?

Is it worth maybe modding a LR casing to take the internals or buying a fabricated case from the US and then bracketing up????

Nissan, Im just weighing up pro's and cons of the different strong axle setups and whats required in ironing out the con's in an effort to make a decision (or satisfy myself ive made the right one)! The price of the nissans make them worth while. For a purely low speed single venue truck they are brilliant but the prop misalignment worries me if you do want to do anything with higher speed sections or road miles between sites. I want to build mine into an all rounder so it needs to be right. Hense the looking at altering the diff offset. I dont think the LR case will easily take the internals but ive been giving some thought to fitting the Nissan diff in a disco 2 axle???? but then decided it might be better to mod the Nissan casing?????? As soon as I start buying the special cases the cost goes up in which case there may well be better alternatives.

Steve, I'd say your best bet would be go for the Nissan t.box. If you go for a 5.3 Chevy lump with 4L60E you could get the adapter for a nissan t.box off the shelf..... Probably the cheapest option and, by a happy coincidence, will give you some more poke compared to the 4.2 RV8. B)

Or just stay Rover and wait for the new Ashcroft 9" kit to come out. I'm sure you'd be able to get pretty high up the waiting list..... It may sound expensive but I've just spent more than it'll retail at on a pair of empty axle cases :unsure:

The ozies have their own way of sorting this one: fit a nissan front axle and a Toyota rear. They have the right ratio (aparently) and the right stud pattern. A bit messy in my mind though when it comes to spares, but a possiblity.

Never mind all this Jap stuff, buy this then make a visit here for new internals, or use the existing which are 3.54:1, and you're away.

Apparently fitted with Dana 44s, you'll notice it's right hand drive so it has the correct knuckle for right hand steering. See how cheap Dana 44 ring and pinion, UJ upgrades and shafts etc are. B)

If I didn't have Longfields I might have been more interested myself. :rolleyes: