Weird noise when turning left

Over night my 90 started making a weird noise.

It only occurs when I'm doing over 50mph and turn the steering wheel to the left - like on a left hand bend on the motorway.

When I straighten up the noise stops. The noise sounds like it's coming from the right front corner and can be felt as a slight vibration through the floor

The sound is best described as a low frequence "WoooWoooWoooWooo"

It's worse when I'm on the power but still there when I back off.

It's also still present when in nutral but doesn't sound as loud (this may be because I'm slowing down)

I first thought front wheelbearing so bought a bearing kit.

Upon removing the hub, the old bearing was pristine.

I replaced it anyway and checked the rear - all looks OK but still have the noise.

Someone suggested "tyre noise" but I'm not convinced as it literally started overnight.

Swivel oil level is fine by the way.

Could a failing CV joint cause these symptoms?

(There are no tell tale noises on full lock)

Any ideas what to look for now?

Interesting, although no help to you, I have a similar symptom! My car sometimes makes a very obvious droning noise when turning left, generally at speeds about 15-20mph. I do mean sometimes; some days there's no noise and others (like today) it's very noticeable. Like you, I have checked the wheelbearings and swivels, and found no fault. The noise mine makes is like the tyre noise I've had from MTs in the past but I'm not sure that's what it is and don't understand why it would only happen when turning left and then only sometimes..........

Baffling; here's hoping someone can help us both!

Phil.

I've visually checked the tyres - they all look to be Ok with no visible bulges, lumps, bumps or weird tread wear.

I'll take the motor for a spin later this week and see if touching the brake pedal makes any difference.

The problem with fault finding is I need to find a straight bit of fast road that then gently bends to the left over a fair distance.

This way I can get the sound to happen over a longer period of time and try brakes, clutch etc

:unsure:

I might suspect the top swivel pin is gone which leaves some play and hence a little "bowed" angle which makes the steering stop touch the metal edges. I must admit I am only guessing but hope better experts would jump on the topic with better ideas!!! :huh:

It might be worth a quick look around the suspension bushes - I had a similar noise on a Pug a while ago and it turned out that one of the suspension bushes has softened with age to such a degree that (on loading up) I was getting metal to metal contact, which then transfered the tyre noise to the cabin.

Not had a chance to go out and try the brakes during the noise.

However It's not a steering stop. I only have to turn the a wheel a few degrees to get the noise to happen.

The sort of steering movement you get on the motorway when there is a slight bend round to the left.

I'm interested in this too. I'm a Landrover novice and mine has just started making a noise first thing in the morning on full left lock to pull out of my parking space. After that it won't do it for the rest of the day...?

Could be your tyre rubbing on the radius arm.

Easily prevented by adjusting the stop nut preventing the steering going too far.

John

Crazyfarmerboy - did you mean the wheel bearing or the one in the swivel?

The wheel bearing has been changed but the noise is still the same.

JST - What does "difflock carrier not fully disengaged" mean (sorry - I'm not that techy when it comes to Landrovers)

The only diff lock I have is in the transfer box (I'm running std axles/diffs)

if the linkage for the t box diff lock has worn it may not be fully disengaging the diff lock, the diff lock comes out but not the 'carrier' as it was explained to me and that rotates when there is a front to rear speed difference.

anyway my td5 developed a noise like this and after chasing wheel bearings, handbrake, stub axle bearings, etc etc thats what i found it to be and tightening the linkage resolved the issue.

mine also only did it turning left. once i had realised the issue it dawned on me that it had started happening from a certain time that diff had been used!

if your diff lock is hardly used its unlikely to be this.

if the linkage for the t box diff lock has worn it may not be fully disengaging the diff lock, the diff lock comes out but not the 'carrier' as it was explained to me and that rotates when there is a front to rear speed difference.

anyway my td5 developed a noise like this and after chasing wheel bearings, handbrake, stub axle bearings, etc etc thats what i found it to be and tightening the linkage resolved the issue.

mine also only did it turning left. once i had realised the issue it dawned on me that it had started happening from a certain time that diff had been used!

if your diff lock is hardly used its unlikely to be this.

James,

Does this mean one must engage the Diff Lock once a month or so? or fortnightly? :huh:

Could be your tyre rubbing on the radius arm.

Easily prevented by adjusting the stop nut preventing the steering going too far.

John

Thanks for the reply John

I don't think its this though as it'd do it every time it was on full lock.

I think the noise is developing though now - I'm hearing it a bit more. When its not so cold out, I'll have a look around and check the bearings mentioned above - though it doesn't sound like a bearing noise. Its a kind of groany moany noise.

Thanks for the reply John

I don't think its this though as it'd do it every time it was on full lock.

I think the noise is developing though now - I'm hearing it a bit more. When its not so cold out, I'll have a look around and check the bearings mentioned above - though it doesn't sound like a bearing noise. Its a kind of groany moany noise.

Power steering pump groaning! top up the fluid, common fault just live with it, its a land rover!! Ive spent years chasing squeks, creaks and strange rattles etc

Power steering pump groaning! top up the fluid, common fault just live with it, its a land rover!! Ive spent years chasing squeks, creaks and strange rattles etc

I gave up on chasing squeeks and creaks long ago... But groanings can be difficult to live up with!! :ph34r:

Se7enUp

Have you found the source of yours yet?

Mine has evolved and seems just as you describe now. A groaning, whoo-whoo, noise from the right side on left turns. Its more and more frequent so I'm thinking its something heading for a failure?

I presume it wouldn't be dependant on a left turns if it was the wheel bearing.

I haven't had a chance to look yet :angry:

Work has been so busy I've not had a chance to even see her!

And it now looks like my next day off will be the 25th! :o

Hopefully this weekend I'll finish early enough to have a bit of a look.

I'm going to take out the top swivel pin and see if the bearing is OK.

If it is, then it's probably going into the garage as I really don't have any time to do much more investigating.

is the noise speed related, ie if the frequency of the noise relative to the road speed (or engine speed) or does it just do it when above 50mph and the noise is always the same.

I only hear it when I'm doing more than 45/50mph.

The "woowoo"sound pretty constant but does vary a little with speed.

It also gets louder (more noticable) the faster I go/harder I corner.

I only hear it when I'm doing more than 45/50mph.

The "woowoo"sound pretty constant but does vary a little with speed.

It also gets louder (more noticable) the faster I go/harder I corner.

if it varies with speed then its road speed related so start checking things that are linked to that

diffs

wheel bearings (i know already done)

props - UJs?

handbrake shoes - hot to touch

t box

metal disc protectors

its not something simple catching/chaffing on the disc/wheel/guards