Weird noise when turning left

I only hear it when I'm doing more than 45/50mph.

The "woowoo"sound pretty constant but does vary a little with speed.

It also gets louder (more noticable) the faster I go/harder I corner.

:huh: I encountered this grrrr-whooo-whooo.wobbly woo wobbbly wooobly wooooo at 60-70 km.. and this continued by windows squeeking. Changing the Top Swivel bearing is an easy task actually!! I started very badly by buying new tyres... :unsure::( ooouch... and it did not give up.. Buying the Upper swivel repair kit. £9.90 the work was done.. For a non abs defender 110 99 model the part number is TAR100040.. Good Luck!!

post-7610-1228215746_thumb.jpg

i've been bugged by a similar sounding problem, except that it happenes constantly for me. no need to drive round corners, just straight and it sounds like that already. gets louder when faster.

someone told me it's the clutch bearing. wonder who's right? to take a peek into the belly of the gearbox is not somthing very cheap. hmmm.

what's the power split from the t-box, as i see the rear wheels spin faster than the front when it's jacked up on all fours. 60-40? if it's 50-50 then i have a problem and i'd check the differentials. hmmm.

i've been bugged by a similar sounding problem, except that it happenes constantly for me. no need to drive round corners, just straight and it sounds like that already. gets louder when faster.

someone told me it's the clutch bearing. wonder who's right? to take a peek into the belly of the gearbox is not somthing very cheap. hmmm.

what's the power split from the t-box, as i see the rear wheels spin faster than the front when it's jacked up on all fours. 60-40? if it's 50-50 then i have a problem and i'd check the differentials. hmmm.

assuming there is equal resistance between front and rear then 50/50 it should be

Over night my 90 started making a weird noise.

It only occurs when I'm doing over 50mph and turn the steering wheel to the left - like on a left hand bend on the motorway.

When I straighten up the noise stops. The noise sounds like it's coming from the right front corner and can be felt as a slight vibration through the floor

The sound is best described as a low frequence "WoooWoooWoooWooo"

It's worse when I'm on the power but still there when I back off.

It's also still present when in nutral but doesn't sound as loud (this may be because I'm slowing down)

I first thought front wheelbearing so bought a bearing kit.

Upon removing the hub, the old bearing was pristine.

I replaced it anyway and checked the rear - all looks OK but still have the noise.

Someone suggested "tyre noise" but I'm not convinced as it literally started overnight.

Swivel oil level is fine by the way.

Could a failing CV joint cause these symptoms?

(There are no tell tale noises on full lock)

Any ideas what to look for now?

try diff oils.. mine made a really deep weinning noise when turning corners.. now iv changed them i havnt herd it since..

Mine has been narrowed down.

The wheel bearings and swivel pin bearings have no play. I've replaced the front drop arm ball joint as that did have quite a bit of play. Fresh oil in the diffs - and the noise persists.

I'm thinking bushes now. Thinking about it I've known cars with squeaks and groans that have been cause by bushes.

Any feedback on how hard they are to change on a Landy?

Any feedback on poly bushes?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

the same problem for me but description is a bit different. (03' Defender 90 TD 5)

A) noise appears when its cold outside (from -0 to... of cesium)

B) it is only when driving straight and disappears for part of second when moving wheel or turning

C) this is not only noise - it mechanically stopping car an then TRC start stopping other wheel/wheels. (if disconnected TLC, noise still appears and still stops)

D) last season this noise was a little and disapers with all other symptoms after few minutes of riding. And when its not so cold outside it does not stop car, at least I do not feel. Might it is only a conjunction but after first winter noise simptoms last year dealer changed transfer box (like crashed) they say now its ok. And new box was only in spring (when warm) No noise - I am happy till this season cold weather...

E) few days befor and espetialy today (its was about -17 to - 20 C) noise and driwing condition was horable... noise with stopping effect of front right wheel + TRC reacting on this...

F) loud noise when slow and more silent when moving faster. today it was for more than 5 km and did not disappear...

Still do not know what it is....

Please help.

DEFS

Vilnius, Lithuania

• 1 month later...

Has anyone made progress with this? I ask because I haven't had any success. My car makes a noise which sounds something like severe tyre-scrubbing when turning left or right. This in intermittent, can vary in volume and is sometimes accompanied by some vibration. I have checked props, hub and swivel bearings, tyres and brakes; no fault found.

I'm wondering about the "difflock carrier" suggestion made earlier. I don't understand this, is the case that the difflock might partially engage on its own whilst driving?

I feel I may be clutching at straws here, but it's annoying and the noise can be alarming.

Any more ideas?

Phil.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply John

I don't think its this though as it'd do it every time it was on full lock.

I think the noise is developing though now - I'm hearing it a bit more. When its not so cold out, I'll have a look around and check the bearings mentioned above - though it doesn't sound like a bearing noise. Its a kind of groany moany noise.

Anderzander: mine does that with my new tires, and it may well be that even though it doesent happen every time,

as the axle may be slightly moving latterally which means that the tyre would rub in some circumstances but not others,

to test this, you could find a not very steep hill, and drive round in circles on the side of it, if the noise only occurs ehrn you are doing the top half of the circle but not the bottom half, this is probably your answer.

personally, i just live with it.

as for the other wierd noises being experienced, its a land rover, and i have learnt to just think MEH when it happens and leave it, or fill everything underneath it up with grease instead of oil, exept of course the fuel tank. (and due to bad experience DO NOT FILL UP THE DIFF WITH GREASE, as the oil can act as a coolant, preventing friction welding.)

mikey

Just to resurrect the squeak thread ....

you can hear mine on this clip...

Its not normally as bad as this - in fact on normal road driving I almost never hear it.

Hi Anderzander.

Just seen/heard your utube clip.

Well, this may be 'way wrong', but I would get an aerosol can of 3in1 oil (with ptfe) and copiously spray the top ends of all four coil springs, and get it well into their seatings.

These springs may twist on their seatings under deflection, and can make nasty noises that are hard to pinpoint.

The 3in1 oil may seem 'a bit cissy' but I like it, and find it 'handy' for all sorts of jobs.

If it's as simple as that, you will be a happy man.

Best regards.

Howard.

2x300TdiDef.

• 5 years later...

Trying to start this thread up a again. I have a 2002 td5 defender with ABS/TC. I'm getting the same noise as Anderzander had. Here's a link to the same noise that some one else had but there was no fix given the thread I grabbed this link from. I don't get the ABS/TC noise that you can hear..yet!

http://soundcloud.com/user47-2/defender-noise

The noise is apparent when turning left at junctions and when driving slowly around in an anticlockwise circle. It's a like seal (animal). Its coming from front drivers side wheel area. I've trawled many forums and found about 4 occurrences of this...with no written solution or source of the problem...which is a pain. Oh and the TC light occasionally comes on ( about 1 in 10 times) whilst his noise is happening. The TC doesn't seem to be activated however. Also the ABS light flickers randomly sometimes whilst driving at 50mph in a straight line. Not sure if the ABS/TC warnings are related to the noise.

Hubs, swivels, bearings, bushes have been checked and no obvious wear or issues found yet.

Help!

Flo.

• 8 years later...
On 12/8/2014 at 8:37 PM, florence said:

Trying to start this thread up a again. I have a 2002 td5 defender with ABS/TC. I'm getting the same noise as Anderzander had. Here's a link to the same noise that some one else had but there was no fix given the thread I grabbed this link from. I don't get the ABS/TC noise that you can hear..yet!

http://soundcloud.com/user47-2/defender-noise

The noise is apparent when turning left at junctions and when driving slowly around in an anticlockwise circle. It's a like seal (animal). Its coming from front drivers side wheel area. I've trawled many forums and found about 4 occurrences of this...with no written solution or source of the problem...which is a pain. Oh and the TC light occasionally comes on ( about 1 in 10 times) whilst his noise is happening. The TC doesn't seem to be activated however. Also the ABS light flickers randomly sometimes whilst driving at 50mph in a straight line. Not sure if the ABS/TC warnings are related to the noise.

Hubs, swivels, bearings, bushes have been checked and no obvious wear or issues found yet.

Help!

Flo.

Just wondering if anyone found a solution for this? My 2004 TD5 sounds like there is a seal under it also. Happens mostly when I turn slight right