propshaft tool

Badger90

if you do not fancy buying a proshaft sockit thingy..

what i done is got 3/8th drive ratchet and extention bar (about 6inch somthing like that) and 9/16th sockit.. and therr you are.. saved few bob..

bit simple idea and some may have allready foudn it out but oh well..

Normally a socket is too big and fouls on most of the bolts. That's why the tool is so "waisted" immediately after the socket fitting.

Either you have a funky socket or some funky props!

Still, if it works for you good on you. :)

I've got the 1/2" drive version of the proper tool, but actually find the 3/8" wobble bar extension and 9/16" socket much easier...

Unbolting a propshaft is one my least favourite jobs, along with oil changes.

yeah wabble exetion bar.. didnt know it had a name..

yeah propshaft are hatfully jobs..

if you do not fancy buying a proshaft sockit thingy..

what i done is got 3/8th drive ratchet and extention bar (about 6inch somthing like that) and 9/16th sockit.. and therr you are.. saved few bob..

bit simple idea and some may have allready foudn it out but oh well..

Have you used the prop tool yet ? Its far better than a socket and extension , its proflied to fit between the yokes far better than any other tool ive used .

I binned that propshaft tool.

Too heavy and numb IMO. It would be useful with a windy gun.

I reverted back to the old tried and tested method of a ring spanner and a combination spanner.

My biggest gripe on prop bolts is people who can't fit the bolts correctly and not being able to tighten or indeed undo the nut.

mike

I bought the 3/8" drive prop nut tool off difflock, it is kept in my landy after discovering it's usefulness. I have used it several times, as have friends who were reluctant to return it.

I was advised to go for the 3/8" over the 1/2" drive as the 3/8 access is much easier.

Pete

Has anybody tried a 1/4" drive 9/16" AF socket ?

mike

no.. havnt got a sockit small enough for 1/4 drive.

i am thinking of getting a propshaft tool but the 9/16th sockit i use the walls are thiner then the propshaft tool..

so it fit it easy..

Has anybody tried a 1/4" drive 9/16" AF socket ?

mike

Yes, I have Mike. You can't get enough torque to loosen tight prop bolts with a standard length quarter drive ratchet. A bigger ratchet and adapter might shear the 1/4'' drive, so I have been using conventional spanners to loosen or tighten the bolts, and using 1/4'' drive socket to run the nuts on and off.

Regards,

Diff

Yes, I have Mike. You can't get enough torque to loosen tight prop bolts with a standard length quarter drive ratchet. A bigger ratchet and adapter might shear the 1/4'' drive, so I have been using conventional spanners to loosen or tighten the bolts, and using 1/4'' drive socket to run the nuts on and off.

Regards,

Diff

That was the way I was thinking......

mike