Spraying calipers

best not to use spray really - could get messy.

first thing to do is clean it with some aerosol brake cleaner, removes the protective oily film that new calipers have. when i did the ones on my old xr4x4 all i used was plain old hammerite, calipers will only get excessively hot after a lot of heavy braking (and i did do quite a lot when caning it round the lanes :) )

Is that an OEM caliper or some upgraded version??

Is that galvanized??

I am considering spraying my caliper which would be replaced shortly. Has anyone sprayed the caliper? Is there any special oil spray to use? And since it gets very hot will is fade off? Just wondering :huh:

Surely any of the commonly available caliper paints from halfrauds, or general high-temp paint, would be the thing to use. As long as the pistons are retracted and the fluid port(s) plugged I can't imagine the caliper will care very much about being painted. Note that some of the very high-temp paints are matt finish and need to be very hot to cure properly (designed for manifolds & the like) so probably won't work so well. Wheel paint would probably also work since they get pretty warm from the disc.

As already mentioned you can get proper caliper paint but it is quite pricey. Most High temp paint will be fine. I use a spray can of engine enamel (no primer required) it around £5 a can and have the benefit of a big industrial oven at work to bake them in afterwards. I usually put on 4-5 coats and fully bake them and the come out very well indeed. Rock hard and last very well but as with all painting it's in the prep!! BTW when I bake them they are stipped and have no pistons or seals in. Don't do it with a fully built caliper!!

As already mentioned you can get proper caliper paint but it is quite pricey. Most High temp paint will be fine. I use a spray can of engine enamel (no primer required) it around £5 a can and have the benefit of a big industrial oven at work to bake them in afterwards. I usually put on 4-5 coats and fully bake them and the come out very well indeed. Rock hard and last very well but as with all painting it's in the prep!! BTW when I bake them they are stipped and have no pistons or seals in. Don't do it with a fully built caliper!!

:blink: I got tempted to bake the calipers :huh: ... But won't try it at all....And Nikojo I am not sure what model or make it is. Iwill check that out shortly and give you some feedback. thanks to all for the help. <_<

I painted my Mazda Calipers with Hammerite Smooth (green, brush painted), let it dry, went for a blast around the local area (all under the speed limit, just a lot of braking from speed, while checking there was nothing behind) and by the time I got back, paint was rock hard and is still on there after a year, but dull after all the heat up's and cool down's, plus there is quite a layer of Brake Dust on them at the moment, other than that the Paint is fine, even the layer or two I put on the edge of the Disc is still fine. Quick wash and they would be as good as when I did them :D.

Only painted the visible parts, I personally don't really think Calipers need paint as a corrosion inhibitor as I think the heat does a good enough job, well the bits I didn't paint are still rust free, just a bit dirty and Dust Covered. Bet it wouldn't hurt though and if you had it off the vehicle painting every bit wouldn't be as hard/messy..

Admitedly there is very little deep wading done with my Mazda so I suppose that could contribute to the lack of rust on the calipers. I was going to paint my truck's calipers, but well, that decision was made for me by some local scrotes... Ahh well, allowed me to upgrade the truck to a newer model I suppose ;) (4 Discs to be painted now :rolleyes:).

Cheers

Matt