Best paint for home spraying

marsie

I thought 2 pack contained iso-cyanates and needed full respirator for spraying, how did you find the vapour masks?

Ok,was told that the mask was suitable for only 1 or 2 resprays then chuck it away :( .Didnt get any fumes through it but i did use the extractor as well

Paul :huh:

Its not illegal to sell 2k paint, the legislation that came in was that it is illegal to carry on importing 2k ie solvent basecoat and 2k medium solid products in to the uk,

A Paint company/Distributor can continue to supply solvent and ms products if they can get them or have them in stock.

Most Paint companys "stocked" up on solvent products before this law came in.

I run a Bodyshop and am running 1 solvent scheme alongside a waterbased scheme, Most bodyshops changed to waterbased paint because of their Solvent (Voc) emissions in to the atmosphere if you are under a certain limit you can still legally use solvent based products.

C&C car colours at Crawley and Ashford can still supply Solvent ici/nexa paint mixed or a mixing scheme and they say that there is probably at least another year of it being available

Also Letchford supplys in Borough green can still Sell solvent Standox as long as a list of other distibutors,

Possibly Smart repairers have to use waterbased products as they are releasing them in to the atmosphere unfiltered and unregulated, Where as a Bodyshop has strict regulating laws on using these products usingb a Spray booth with filters to catch paint particles to reduce there Voc outputs, Having to be licecened and to Pay for it on our solvent emissons!

Health & Safety advice is that for isocyanate products ONLY air-fed breathing masks are appropriate.

And if you read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) sheets for isocyanate car paints you should find the manufacturers say the same.

Those safety data sheets are aimed at full time professional users who use the stuff every day. I use two pack occasionally and and use a good quality respirator with carbon filters. I keep the painting area well ventilated and I don't hang around between coats, I have had no ill effects.

For more info on the risks see this link

It confirms that carbon masks are ok for short term, low level exposure.

it is good to bake if possible but you dont have to although a bit of heat whilst painting will help it flow better ( better finish) if the vehicle is going off road i would use a comercial paint as it is harder wearing and can still produce a good finish. as regards to masks air fed is best but somtimes not available, charcoal filter masks are ok for small jobs and holding your breath is a no no.

if you are worried about drying times you could also use somthing like (rocket) which speeds up the curing time.

www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/web33.pdf

HSE/COSHH guidelines for those who use isocyanate materials properly in SMART repair. Link doesn't work so you'll have to do it yourself.

I use Nexa AquabasePlus, but still have the older solvent based (note the base is not isocyanate) DuPont Centari system. As has already been said, as long as the tints are around the solvent based systems continue to be used, but as soon as one of the tints is no longer obtainable - and it will be the commonly used ones - then that particular system is scrap.

Basically i warmed the workshop upto about 10degrees(thermostat on heater) then painted the panels.Then did some other work on the car for a couple of hours.the paint was dry enough to handle the panels after this time.The heat was then turned off and the panels left for a couple of days without heat

the guy at the paint shop told me that if you are using heat it needs to be constant to avoid getting a dried skin on top of wet paint.otherwise just paint in normal temp to get a uniform drying

Paul ;)