First ever project

I have decided it is about time that I started a landrover project as I have always wanted to, the problem is I am unsure what vehicle I should use. I want to use a discovery my wife wants a defender. does it make a big difference for a first project and what is the best engine to buy. I would have thought a diesel with a manual gearbox would be best but this is just a guess as I have never owned a landrover before. Please help.

I have decided it is about time that I started a landrover project as I have always wanted to, the problem is I am unsure what vehicle I should use. I want to use a discovery my wife wants a defender. does it make a big difference for a first project and what is the best engine to buy. I would have thought a diesel with a manual gearbox would be best but this is just a guess as I have never owned a landrover before. Please help.

if one wants a disco and the other wants a 90 get a range rover classic! v8 auto, comfy, great off road, better than a disco!

Go for the best- defender :P

Leaky, windy, noisy, expensive and great!

I'm 16 and got my first landy project this year.

200tdi is a very good engine, also quite easy to work on- mine's been out already (and back in :P )

Also the vehicle is easy to modify/fix/service and great fun!

Pete

p.s. might get a biased view in the defender forum!

Depends what you mean by "project" really - are you building one from scratch, doing one up, or just buying one and pratting about with it?

An old Defender would be a reasonable project, they're simple and don't have a lot of stuff to get in your way whilst tinkering (such as trim, carpets, wiring...). Although they do leak and are noisy, they're not that bad really. A 110 should ride as well as a Disco give or take.

I think you would be better off with a defender ,for a start bits are easier to change like bodywork and if you do go out and whack it you will be glad of that and apparently defenders are bucking the trend at the moment and holding their price unlike discos

You need to choose between welding on a Disco (boot floor, sills etc) against general lack of comfort in a Defender. You will probably have to get chassis rust sorted on a Defender at some point as well but there will almost certainly be more on a Disco.