How the V8 should sound

cooper

As you may all know i am very pleased with my RRC, but the soundtrack it produced was a little lame for a V8, so i was bored at work the other day, and thought hmmm....., a new s/s system is well out of my reach at present, so i set about the Classic with an exhaust cutter, oxyacetaline and a powerflow center section i took off another car a while back, 1st off i cut out the middle box and replaced it with the said powerflow box, and started her up....she sounded better but still too quiet for my liking, so i set about the rear box, removed the box and welded the tailpipe back onto the exhaust and came up trumps.....In my opinion this is how landrover should of made all V8's sound like, enjoy....(sorry about the quality as it was done on my phone)

th_MOV01939.jpg

Nice - Sounds better than mine.

I have removed the rear silencer and replaced it with a welded 45 degree and straight 2.5" section pipe that exits at the rear and uses the same rear hanger etc. Not particularly loud (still have OEM front resonator) and actually has lees of a V8 burble than with the rear silencer fitted which doesn't make sense and rear silencers tend to even out the firing pulses.

What I'd like to know is what kind of silencers are fitted to older TVRs with the 3.5 rover engine as they always sounds just right.

Nice - Sounds better than mine.

I have removed the rear silencer and replaced it with a welded 45 degree and straight 2.5" section pipe that exits at the rear and uses the same rear hanger etc. Not particularly loud (still have OEM front resonator) and actually has lees of a V8 burble than with the rear silencer fitted which doesn't make sense and rear silencers tend to even out the firing pulses.

What I'd like to know is what kind of silencers are fitted to older TVRs with the 3.5 rover engine as they always sounds just right.

I the older TVRs used two seperate pipes all the way through with a box on the back end of it which keeps the deep sounds in and the high pitched sounds out, I find that the first box seams to remove the bass if you like.

I the older TVRs used two seperate pipes all the way through with a box on the back end of it which keeps the deep sounds in and the high pitched sounds out, I find that the first box seams to remove the bass if you like.

My TR7 V8 has a single big bore system with just a smallish straight through back box and has enough bass to set of car alarms in car parks. With the top down it sounds fantastic but the novelty soon wears off on a long journey with the roof up.

Mind you it's very quiet at the moment 'cos it's in bits :(

Thanks for the great clips! I do not have the words to express what the sound of a good V8 does for me. Actually the same is true for any V engine with the right exhaust - I reckon the V configuration must be the one nature intended when she invented petrol :D.

I would like to humbly suggest though, that if you are concerned about such glorious sounding exhausts being wearing on long journeys - then wear ear-plugs! (They also help if you have a rattling seat-cover ;) ) :lol: :lol:

Better yet (if you travel alone) use some decent noise isolating ear-buds end enjoy true hi-fi on the move. I use these on my motorcycle: Bought in more affluent times, they have enabled me to listen to excellent quality radio/MP3 while riding (with it not too loud) for the last three years and are still going strong.

Be aware though that not all people can get on with these - some can't even get them in properly.. :(

I'm so gutted I've sold my RR :( It was a 2 door with a JE 4.2 on carbs, Janspeed stainless sports system and a manual gearbox.

I bought a Defender 200tdi instead :wacko:

I just couldn't get it registered here because of the many mods.

I could listen to that V8 music all day every day no matter how loud or how far I had to go. The sound/noise of the tdi gets tiring after 1/2 hr. on the motorway...