Tyres to avoid on a Discovery - DANGER DANGER

thebiglad

I just thought I would relay experiences I've had on a new set of tyres on my Tdi300auto Disco.

Old ones were worn out so I searched the market and came across a bargain deal of 4 new tyres for 270 euros. The make was Continental and they were road-biased "Contact 4x4 m&s".

Ok so new tyres always makes your car feel nice, but one day in Limoges I had to brake sharply (not paying enough attention :oops: ) and she locked up and slid, so I was into the old cadence braking like a man possessed and all was resolved without further drama. The road was slightly humid after a dry spell so I assumed it was muck and shîte on the roads, not yet washed away.

Got to Guéret, going round a roundabout and lost the back end !!!! Didn't like this at all. When I got home I told the wife and she said get some more tyres!! I said no, it'll be fine.

In the mean time I bought her another Disco and fitted it out with General AT2's - very confidence-inspiring.

So, we went out in mine yesterday gently ambling along some country roads, through a series of bends, when the car starts doing a walzing Mathilda, first the backend slides to the right, steer into it and she slides violently to the left and we are heading for the edge of a ravine about 50mtrs deep !!! :shock: Managed to brake to stop us going over the edge.

Damage? just a little bit of scrape (most of it will polish out??) down one side and nothing else - fortunately.

Got home, straight on the phone to Paddocks - "4 General AT2's please - quick as you like !!!)

You can only speak as you find, but I've NEVER lost traction on-road before with any of my Landys, so I can only put it down to these tyres.

You have been warned :shock:

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all our readers

Dave

father out-law has at2's on his disco2 V8 and i dont like 'em.

boot it from the lights and the t/c light is flashing like mad and its all squirrelly and slidy. Same on roundabouts etc when you power out of the corner. Plus under heavy braking the abs comes in far too early for my liking!

ok it does have some grunt being a v8 - but our chipped td5 aint much slower overall and it is alot more stable and surefooted using the cooper all terrains.

offroad they probably arent quite as good as the at2, but they certainly managed fine at frickley marshalling for a club challenge event.

CNV00016.JPG

must agree about the at2's i've got em on my td5 and like has been said away from a junction a bit sharpish and the traction control light flashers like mad and the same on damp corners or roudabouts they tend to let go and you get the old slidies same as under braking abs going like the clappers i dont like em so it look's like a set of bfg at's for mine. :unsure:

AT2's are a good choice, I'm very impressed with mine...

Me too... I got mine 2 months after I got the car to replace the bald Michelin city tyres.

That was three years ago. 120.000 Km later and I may replace them next year, before winter 2009.

I agree that they spin every now and then when my TD5 breathes a bit too much, but on the whole, ad Tony would say, they're Gr-r-reat!

If Nick90 swears by cleaning out his pipes when "flooin' it" I just let the Traction Control do its bit and smile.

At a recent "field in mud" where many eastern 4x4's were being pulled out by the local tractor (mainly due to driver problems), my Disco simply kept going.

Some "normal" card with winter tyres also managed on their own, but at one point there was only me and the tractor moving.

I'll certainly be putting At2's on again.

Merry Christmas,

Simon

PS Where in France are you?

I remember reading a long time ago that you should avoid tyres that are made in Germany. I believe that BMW had to change all the tyres fitted to 528s as they had little grip on British roads. This was at least 10 years ago.

Apparently German roads have better grip, so they can make the tyres harder to last longer.

I have had South-African made Continentals on a few cars and they were fine grip wise, but I don't suppose the rubber compound used is the same here in SA as it is in Germany.

try INSA TURBO DAKAR's!!! amazing lack of grip on the road, the disco slides all over the road in the wet, just waiting for the day when i have to suddenly stop. also the pretty casing that they put in the sidewall (remoulded tyre remember) is starting to peel off. They wear incredible well though, and they really work well in the thick stuff. went up to woodlands 4x4 in kent on one of the wettest days this year, and didnt even need difflock, everyone on all terrains however were sliding all over the place, and because the car park is on a slope there were cars being towed away from other vehicles because they're tires just wouldnt hold the mud. proper funny day that was, and anyone wearing road tyres or on foot. well, lets just say that i laughed..... hard!

Continental market these as "summer" tyres and carry a range of winter tyres to match. Summer tyres don't work well below 5 degrees.

German tyre technology is on a par with British auto electrical technology.

Hi Landymann, these tyres in France are not marketed as summer only tyres, they are just allrounders.

Also, we have General AT2's on the other 300 and they were designed by Continental in Germany apparently, however they stick to the road like the proverbial 'shît to a blanket'

I am very impressed with the AT2's at this early stage.

Cheers all, happy Crimble

Dave

Hi Landymann, these tyres in France are not marketed as summer only tyres, they are just allrounders.

Dave

If you have a look at this link you will see that it is marketed as a summer tyre in France, these tyres are certainly in the summer section. Perhaps you have been mis-sold these.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...4x4_ete_fr.html

Dave

If you have a look at this link you will see that it is marketed as a summer tyre in France, these tyres are certainly in the summer section. Perhaps you have been mis-sold these.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/...4x4_ete_fr.html

Thanks for that. LM

In all the times I've had problems with these tyres there's be no snow or ice and the temps have been higher than 5°c.

The question in my mind is "How do Continental define a summer tyre?" From 21st Juin to Sept 20th?? Do you then go to an autumn tyre?

I'm not expecting to get anything from my enquiry with Continental, I just want to get these pieces of doggy-doo off my car asap.

Cheers all, happy holidays

Dave

uncle had same handleing problems with tyres incorrectly fitted to the rim they were on and pumped up to correct pressure but not seated on the bead an not just a sma section i mean at all both sides

back end was very loose all the time tram lined like mad thing not summat you want on a 911 turbo

dave

Don't laugh, but. . . . .

I put a set of NANKANG tyres on my Disco last year. I think they'l just about do 25k miles, but I drive it hard on the country lanes, & the fronts are suffering because of stupid speed cornering.

Excellent handling wet or dry on the motorways also & run silently - 235x75x16

Road tyres they are classed as, but coarse treaded & soft, so the road handling is actually very good.

Because they are soft the off road is not bad & believe it or not, they took me places that part worn treaded vehicles with Goodridge All Terrains would not climb in damp track climbing conditions on chalky clay this summer. . . . .

Maybe, I just got lucky with the right gear, speed & power, but they worked for me on the budget at the time.

Best bit is that the set was £225 fitted & balanced. . . . . .

admitted, I like the look of the beefy Goodridge tyres a lot more.

Road tyres they are classed as, but coarse treaded & soft, so the road handling is actually very good.

Because they are soft the off road is not bad & believe it or not, they took me places that part worn treaded vehicles with Goodridge All Terrains would not climb in damp track climbing conditions on chalky clay this summer. . . . .

admitted, I like the look of the beefy Goodridge tyres a lot more.

Just a point, Goodridge make brake hoses and couplings. BF Goodrich make tyres. But we know what you meant.

A bit of thread hi-jack, but kind of on topic...

I'm about to put some new tyres on my Td5, the aim being to give it some play day and green lane ability and still do 12,000 road miles a year. I'm torn between BF Goodrich KM AT and General Grabber AT2, probably in 255/70/16 to give a little extra height and fill the arches better. Anybody got a preferance, as I've heard great things about both tyres, but the BF Goodrich are about £100 per set more expensive?

I've got AT2s on my Ranger and BFGs on my Discovery and while it isn't a direct comparison I would if anything say that I prefer the AT2s and that will certainly be the direction I lean in when I eventually need replacements for the Discovery, which will be a long time yet as it spends most of its time in the garage!

seems on this thread we have gone round the houses a few times regarding the most popular all terrains.

I think performance wise there aint a huge amount in it and looks do play a part in our choice.

so here`s a piccy of the most common....

cooper st

cooper_discoverer_st.jpg

general grabber at2

grabber_at2_3q_uv;property=original.jpg

bfg at

all_terrain_large.gif

on a budget dont discount the kumho a/t

KUMHO.jpg