300 Tdi rear Oil Seal

Mo Murphy

Mo

I've done mine recently, although it was a 200TDI. I got it down to an art. After the 3rd one I realised it was a blown headgasket that was the problem not the seal, that was a result of the gasket.

Fastest time was 4 hrs from driving in to driving out the garage. Very easy with the engine out.

That is the way I would do it in future.

4hrs was the 4 or 5 time in a couple of days :( . I knacked the crank seal when I put it together so pulled it all apart for that and then a whole catalogue of problems at the rear of the engine meant that it got stripped quite often over the period. My bro in law suggested putting it back in with wingnuts and velcro to save time the next time it needed to come out. ;) So 4 hrs was just practice, nothing atall to do with my skill and knowledge both of which I have very little.

I think this job should be a doddle - easy for me to say! ;)

Remove the rad/intercoler, all hoses, disconnect exhaust, undo bellhousing nuts and engine mounts and slide engine forward enough to remove flywheel and clutch allowing access to the seal. At least, that is how I changed my clutch, and, having had the gearbox out since, I would do it that way again as long as I had access to an engine crane.

Chris

Thanks chaps :)

Ok so it looks like engine out then, :( Oh bugger I ain't looking forward to this one little bit :(

What does a 300 Tdi engine weigh, I can hire 2 different sizes of hoist 250 kg or 500 kg ?

What else do you think I'll need, any further tips for sucess ?

Mo

What does a 300 Tdi engine weigh, I can hire 2 different sizes of hoist 250 kg or 500 kg

Get the 500kg one to be on the safe side. It may also be bigger and will lift the engine with the jib out not all the way in like with the smaller one. It should not take long Mo, you will be done by lunchtime. :)

Chris

Mo

The crankcase was pressurising. It took a couple of mins to push all the oil past the seal. By the time I'd started the motor and got underneath there was already a puddle. That was the knacked seal. Once it was replaced it took a couple of mile testrun to find the oil dripping everywhere. Not good when you drive to Tidworth from M inehead and have to keep stopping to top the oil up. I was really popular at petrol stations.

Thanks chaps :)

Ok so it looks like engine out then, :( Oh bugger I ain't looking forward to this one little bit :(

What does a 300 Tdi engine weigh, I can hire 2 different sizes of hoist 250 kg or 500 kg ?

What else do you think I'll need, any further tips for sucess ?

Mo

They're just over 200kgs so go for the 500kg one. Because the engine sits so far back you might be able to get away without pulling out the rad. You don't need that much space to change the oil seal assembly.

Oh the joys of doing it yourself !!!!!!!

I found it easier to recruit the help of the eldest boy, thanks Niall :)

engout.jpg

sealin.jpg

There are none - especially when it's pouring with rain and you're trying to put the engine back in - pay someone to do it ! I wonder what the going rate for a rear seal replacement is ;)

Mo :)

I didn't glue the Britpart seal assy in Les.

The seal comes in the aluminium housing assembled with a former to ensure that the seal lip faces the correct way ie toward the inside of the engine I think.

As you push the housing/seal on to the crankshaft the former is pushed out then I bolted it up.

I hope that's it for a good long while :)

Mo