Options for spare wheel storage in a 90 Truck cab ?

Hi all,

Before I set to with the Hardtop to Truck Cab conversion, I am having a rethink about what is stored where.

I know with the TC Space will be very different :(, am thinking of making boxes up for the strops and shackles

But was wondering about the spare wheel ?? :blink: currently 34s may one day be 35s but no bigger

On my last Truck Cab (The Hybrid) the spare was held upright against the rear roll cage, bit of a pain

but out of the way, I couldn't have it level, as the wheelbase / Load bed / 2x Rear rollcage stays were so tight it just wouldn't

go it any other way, ......but as I am about to rebuild the area maybe I have a choice(s) ?

So, if you have a TC 90 / Defender, can you pop up pics of spare wheel and size of it too ?

Ta

Nige

Not sure what size tyres this guy was running, but I saw this last year at a HBRO meet at Hogmoor:

gallery_1731_474_32176.jpg

Apologies for the crappy quality, it's a snapshot from video taken on my old digital compact. Possibly a Mantec truck cab swing away.

Sell the truckcab, buy a hardtop and then mount the spare wheel on the back door

Huh :blink:

Top advice from a member who's avatar has a picture of his rabbit (long time dead) in his house (wer, sold and moved away from)

Try and keep up, ....had the hardtop and the wheel carrier :P Triuck Cab now JW :P

Nige

My solution to the problem...

normal_OBC08Sue_098.jpg

Originally I had the spare laid flat in the load bed, a 35 inch Simex just fits between the wheel arches. This was good from a CoG point of view but made carrying anything else in the back quite difficult and limited the size of the fuel tank I could use as this is also in the back. By moving the spare up it freed up a lot of space in the back and the fuel tank could be made bigger. It does raise the CoG in theory but, in practice, a lot of the heavy spares that used to have to be stored in a box above the spare wheel are now much lower so it's probably about the same as it was.

The spare is supported by and bolted to, underneath the load cover, a frame that is welded to the chassis on both sides - the last thing I want is a spare wheel getting loose in a big roll or high speed crash.