Soft Pedal; Brakes

I keep getting soft pedal on my brakes (110 V8 CSW) The brake system has been bled to the extent that the fluid to all wheel cylinders is all new but it still has a touch too much travel that can be reduced temporarily by a couple of pumps but returns later.

It's present in equal measure whether the engine is running or not. Could there be a "bubble" in the master cylinder that I'm not dislodging? I use a Gunsons easi-bleed kit but connected to a footpump got sick of spare wheel pressure blowing the bottle up to 49psi!

If the pedal goes solid after a pump of the pedal or two then it's not a problem with air.

The usual cause of this is one or more of the brake cylinders being pushed back by the pads/shoes over time. On a drum brake this is normally caused by bad adjustment/worn adjuster cam. Disk brakes can also cause this when driving if you have a lot of play in a wheel bearing (the "wobbling" disk pushes the pads/pistons back into the caliper).

I'd check the front wheel bearings anyway as when they get bad enough to push pads back the bearings will be in a very poor state. If the wheel bearings are OK then re-check the rear adjustment.

It's a Greg that is fairly OE, when I had to change some of the original steel pipes at the front I had a quicl look at the flexibles they looked like they were of the same vintage as the then coroded steel pipes. Will get an assistant and look for bulging!

When you nip up the rear brake adjusters, do you get an even resistance when you turn the wheel?

The Britpart rear drums I fitted a while ago have caused a similar problem as they are either slightly oval or have been machined off-centre.

If I back the shoe adjuster off enough so the pads don't rub, the pedal goes to the floor, and if I nip it up tighter then the drum pushes the pads in to the cylinder every rotation and gives excess travel again.

I have the same problem with my D90 300Tdi as in alot of travel at the top but not all the time and its always been like it along with carp rear brkes (discs).

Not long ago the brake valve was replaced (the one thats bolted to the drivers foot well) as it was leaking out of the tin cover end along with the rear calipers as they were nacked.

All the wheel bearings are tight and it was bled in order till I was blue in the face.

The master cylinder was also replced along with the servo about 2yrs ago and orthough the servo needs replcing again I don't think thats the problem.