Rivnut uses?

SteveG

I wouldn't Steve, the ones I fitted for rear mud flaps after a short while and a few bolts tightened and removed came loose.

I'd suggest nuts and spacer plates under the rear floor sikaflexed or riveted to hold the spacer in place.

a decent sized spacer to, like the seat belt mounts use.

I was going to use some rivnuts for some lashing eyes and wondered if they would be strong enough?

What are the limits of their usage? Could you use them to bolt down the rear single fold down seats for example?

In what seems like a 'smart alec' response, it depends on the rivnut!!

The first ones I was introduced to had a gold passivated appearance, and were compressed into place by use of a standard HT screw, an oiled thread, and a big washer.

The second lot looked the same, but turned out to have a very poor thread which stripped as I was trying to compress them.

These were replaced with some like the first set.

Probably not adequate for high stress situations, especially if the load is a straight pull rather than a sideways sheer.

The most recent set I almost bought were from a different supplier, I asked for Rivnuts and was offered some in a 'zinc grey' colour. When I requested a screw to set them with the supplier gave me a very old fashioned look, and told me in no uncertain terms that what I was proposing wouldn't work. I needed the correct setting tool, at 'a lot of money'.

I'm sure these would have held a seat, but they were not required for what I wanted. The same supplier sold me the 'cheap and nasty' versions. He didn't call these rivnuts, but I don't recall what he did call them.

Regarding the lashing eyes and seats, the other limiting factor is the strength of the panel the eyes are to be fastened to.

Pointless to use a battleship fastening on a 16G sheet.

HTH

It depends on a lot of things Steve, they come in Steel, Aluminium and Stainless, a variety of finishes, many sizes and also different types (standard, thin sheet etc.), also strength is dependant on the material being put into, accuracy and method of fitting - if they go in wonky and arent fully compressed they are usless, put in correctly they are superb.

The best rivnut tool I've used is an air-powered one, with proper industrial rivnuts it's brilliant. I find hand rivnutters are a PITFA to get a decent amount of force without moving the nut about in the hole, and the telescopic long-handled ones give a better result but are really unweildy. The cheap rivnuts that arrive with normal rivnut tools seem to actually pull themselves through the hole before they get anywhere near well-set - ask me how I know <_<

Dont get a hand rivnut tool like the "normal" rivet style single handed operating ones - you'll never get them to work.

I have a nice 2 handed long handled rivnut tool from screwfix (or possibly allfix) - it cost about £90 though but comes with variety of fittings and is really well made, its a Masterfix MFX-480QI.

Thread on tools here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=17822 however as fridge said, the air tools are the dogs :)