Disco 1 v8 on gas. Worth it??

kloonsy

Hi there,

New to this site and land rovers in general. Wanting to get Disco and a 3.9 with lpg has come up locally. Very nice with full leather £750. Not bad eh? Heres the catch, its a cat D as the engine backfired while on gas. It blew the airbox off and melted some wiring and the power steering bottle. Done some research into lpg on these engines and im confident i can cure it, but do you think its worth the money or would i be better off buying something not on the register, or doesnt it matter to people with landies???

Thanks, Dave

Hi there,

New to this site and land rovers in general. Wanting to get Disco and a 3.9 with lpg has come up locally. Very nice with full leather £750. Not bad eh? Heres the catch, its a cat D as the engine backfired while on gas. It blew the airbox off and melted some wiring and the power steering bottle. Done some research into lpg on these engines and im confident i can cure it, but do you think its worth the money or would i be better off buying something not on the register, or doesnt it matter to people with landies???

Thanks, Dave

Similar thing happened to mine. Wouldn't bother me. What age is it and scope for haggling...?

Hi, have run the same type of Discovery on lpg for years you could get a lot of service out of it yet. The damage is easy to repair and would never have happened if the gas job had been done properly. You will be able to get all the bits you require cheaply but the air flow meter might well be shot. If you are going to use the same gas system make sure you fit a blow back trap. Better still fit a system that will never back fire. I might well have all the bits you need pm me if required.

Steve

Hi, have run the same type of Discovery on lpg for years you could get a lot of service out of it yet. The damage is easy to repair and would never have happened if the gas job had been done properly. You will be able to get all the bits you require cheaply but the air flow meter might well be shot. If you are going to use the same gas system make sure you fit a blow back trap. Better still fit a system that will never back fire. I might well have all the bits you need pm me if required.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Just a bit nervous of getting my leg in with something im not familiar with :lol: . Thinking of a k&n to replace the missing airbox,have you any experiance of them? Will pm you with what i'll need if i buy it

Many thanks,

Dave

I agree entirely - I had the exploding box problem and got it cured recently at RPI Engineering, who fitted a better amplifier and beefier leads. (See my post "Absolutely outstanding service")

I went down there from Bedale, which is about an hour further north than you if that helps - it was worth the trip.

I find that on LPG the car is cheaper to run than a diesel and has a number of performance advantages (and before the remainder of this post is taken up by people who say what a wolly I am and that diesels do this that and the other far better, please accept this as my subjective and very unscientific opinion). I have also run a number of other LPG vehicles, including a Granada and a Ford Explorer and they have all been fine.

Presently I am getting a smidge under 20 mpg @ 70 in cruise control and better than that if at 55. LPG has finally followed unleaded and deisel down in price to 45 or so pence per litre, so the equivalent mpg in relation to cost is much better than diesel.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want to know more........

Thanks Steve. Just a bit nervous of getting my leg in with something im not familiar with :lol: . Thinking of a k&n to replace the missing airbox,have you any experiance of them? Will pm you with what i'll need if i buy it

Many thanks,

Dave

I have been told the fitting a different air filter can have negitive effect on engine, leaning the fuel/air which could lead to overheating etc. If you do then think about rechiping the ecu but do some research first and get some opions from people who have had it done.

Steve

given the current climate it could be worth haggling down a bit further towards the £500 mark, don't ask don't get :P

Note what FF said /\

One went on eBay the other week (V8 LPG Disco) - with 9 months MoT and a couple of months tax for... wait for it... £410 :wacko:

HI I HAVE A DISCOVERY 3.9 V8 N REG WITH A MILLENIUM LPG SYSTEM

I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD WHEN THE ENGINE JUST DIED SO I GOT IT HOME AND HAD A LOOK MY SELF (NOT THAT I KNOW MUCH LIKE)

AND FOUND THAT THE SWITCH FOR THE FUEL WAS DEAD (NO LIGHTS ON IT) WHEN I TURNED THE IGNISHION ON THE LIGHTS ON THE SWITCH LIGHTS CAME ON BUT WHEN I WENT TO TURN IT OVER (START IT) THE LIGHTS ON THE SWITCH WENT OUT AND THE SWITCH WAS DEAD AGAIN AND NOW WHEN I DO IT THE LIGHTS WONT COME ON AT ALL

SO I PHONED A COMPANY THAT SELL THE SYSTEM THE BLOKE TOLLED ME ITS THE DISSY AS THERE IS NO RPM OFF IT THE LPG SYSTEM WOULD SHUT OFF IN TO SAFE MODE SO I GOT A HOLE NEW DISSY FITTED IT TONIGHT AND STILL NOTHING

HAS ANY ONE HAD SOME THING LIKE THIS OR HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT IS CHEERS