Have I got the correct size of NATO hitch to tow a Sankey?

I picked up a NATO hitch on the popular online Tat Bazaar we all love to hate, but it looks a lot smaller than ones I have seen before.

post-4939-1231074874_thumb.png

The mounting holes on the back match the holes in my Crossmember perfectly but it is the jaw that looks small. Will this tow a Sankey? Also, I take it there are different sizes available for towing larger things like tanks?

Am I just suffering from hitch envy?

I amgoing to follow this thread on fitting http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2690

thanks.

rather than have it permanently mounted, just bolt it to a spare slider for the adjustable hitch thats already fitted, thats how mine is done.

What a good idea. Why didn't I think of that!

I was worried about losing the ability to tow the Estate cattle trailer when setting up the clay shoot but this will mean that a 15 minute spanner session and I am sorted.

Thanks Ralph.

even less time if you use the dixon-bate pin & lynch pin arrangement to attach the nato slider, see the link in my reply above, thats my nato slider above the pin/ball slider.

Of course! My slider is the same, although attached by two pins (rather than one as in your picture), and my steps stop the ball being raised or lowered as I can't remove the pins but that hasn't casued any problems yet, and to be honest, all I ever use the steps for is to whack my shins off.

post-4939-1231182651_thumb.jpg

So I can have both on at the same time as the pintle will sit at the top with the normal tow ball lower down. Brilliant.

Now to get the parts.

& turn those ball hitch bolts around while your doing the step removal. if the bolts are a bit to long either shove a thick washer under the head or [the best way] cut some of the exposed thread after the nuts are torqued up nice & tight.

& turn those ball hitch bolts around while your doing the step removal. if the bolts are a bit to long either shove a thick washer under the head or [the best way] cut some of the exposed thread after the nuts are torqued up nice & tight.

huh?

Is this to stop the thread becoming rusty and gunked up or is there another reason?

Yup,

definately got a good deal there. £20 all in as it was only 3 miles off the M6, so picked it up on the way back from Edinburgh. Was wifes Birthday as well so not only were we driving on her birthday but we had to go to a *$£!"$ing land Rover Dealers to pick up a %&&$**!!ing rusty bit of metal. :lol:

Trying to find a spare slider for this thing and so far I have come across this:

post-4939-1231190922_thumb.jpg

which is the right one if I have a Dixon Bate extended height adjustable coupling:

post-4939-1231190975_thumb.jpg

Only trouble is they are an eye watering £39.10 + 2 x £11.70 for spare pins.

(Trailer Couplings site)

I think I may just go back to my original 15 minute spanner job rather than spank a credit crunch busting £62 on bits of metal.

any slider will fit, one of mine came from the LR Supermarket near Liverpool, I only use 1 pin to secure the slider. have a look on ebay for a slider. 3 here from DLS less than 25 quid too.

Was wifes Birthday as well so not only were we driving on her birthday but we had to go to a *$£!"$ing land Rover Dealers to pick up a %&&$**!!ing rusty bit of metal.

:rofl:

belated happy birthday Mrs madcowz :D

All sliders aren't the same!

My Nato hitch is on one that is bolted to the top holes on the drop plate, you can't get a pin through. The combined hitch is on a Dixon Bate slider that fits on bottom hole, pin goes in OK. The original bottom slider had 2 holes and was fastened with 2 pins. I did a swap with my brother in law who tows every day, gave him 2 pin slider as he his single pin clattered all the time and was wearing, we are talking 3 axle Ifor Williams with mini digger etc on board. I rarely tow so swap suited me, I've never seen a 2 hole slider advertised though.

What are the recommended bolt sizes for attaching this to the slider?

It depends what 'this' is.

If it's the 50mm tow ball, then 16mm is the correct diameter.

If it's the Nato hitch, then the drawing shows the holes at 9/16" / ~14mm diameter (and 4" centres).

However, many people do use 12 mm, presumably because this give some leeway for 'tolerance' when the holes were made, either in the hitch, or in the metal they are bolting it to.

8 holes, they ALL have to be in the right place if you use a bolt that 'just' fits an individual hole.

What diameter are the holes in the slider?

HTH

What are the recommended bolt sizes for attaching this to the slider?

I have seen M16 x 70 mm stated on another forum, but a thread on here says M12

thanks.

IIRC mine is fitted with 4 x M12 high tensile bolts & 2 nuts per bolt, plain shank to suit so it's in full bearing & so it just appears on the nut side of the slider plate.

2 nuts per bolt for 1 to be the actual securing nut & the 2nd acts as a safety nut/lock nut to prevent 1st undoing.

• 1 month later...