Noise on Clutch Depression

Still on my search for a Defender 90. Sat in one recently with the engine running , gearbox in neutral and there was quite a noise when depressing the clutch pedal. I asked the dealer if it would be the clutch release bearing but he said it would be the spigot bearing. He also said they all make this noise and that it would go away after driving 50 yards down the road.Given that the truck in question only had 31,000 miles on it none of this seemed right to me.

Surely it's the clutch release bearing that would be making this noise and wouldn't it be unusual for it to be worn after 31000 miles?

Cheers.

I've had this with my td5 90 more or less since I got it from 3 yrs old with about 30'000 miles on it, I still don't know if it's the release or spigit bearing but it only does it from cold for a few seconds and has never got any worse (about 55'000 now) so I will continue to ignore it until something breaks.

• 2 weeks later...
Still on my search for a Defender 90. Sat in one recently with the engine running , gearbox in neutral and there was quite a noise when depressing the clutch pedal. I asked the dealer if it would be the clutch release bearing but he said it would be the spigot bearing. He also said they all make this noise and that it would go away after driving 50 yards down the road.Given that the truck in question only had 31,000 miles on it none of this seemed right to me.

Surely it's the clutch release bearing that would be making this noise and wouldn't it be unusual for it to be worn after 31000 miles?

Cheers.

My TD5 110 does the same. When I bought it the dealer also said that 'They all do it'.

The noise is common to the TD5 models , I recently changed the DMF , the noise went away , For a while (5k) , it comes and goes but only when the engine is cold , Its also had a brand new gearbox that was fitted the same time as the DMF , so I cant say if it was one or the other , The spigot bearing was fine and got a shot of silicone grease . so I wouldnt tink it was that .

The noise is common to the TD5 models , I recently changed the DMF , the noise went away , For a while (5k) , it comes and goes but only when the engine is cold , Its also had a brand new gearbox that was fitted the same time as the DMF , so I cant say if it was one or the other , The spigot bearing was fine and got a shot of silicone grease . so I wouldnt tink it was that .

I have a 2.5 N/A 110 and whenever I press the clutch there is some squeaky spring noise. Very loud, is there any way to get rid of this spring noise.?

What the heck is NA and NAS? I'd assumed it was North American spec but it seems like almost every other defender is NA or NAS in the UK so can it be that?

NAS is indeed North American Spec.

N/A means 'normally aspired', referring to the diesel engines without a turbo, as opposed to the later turbodiesel/Tdi/TD5/Tdci.

:huh: DMF .. What is that? ;) differential....