Galvanizing Exhaust bits???

landrovermanuk

Like the title says...Will it work? I'm just about to replace the tail pipe on the 90. The new pipe cost £50 and the old one has lasted 5 years, so i was thinking about galvanizing it to make it last longer. I know stainless would be better but that's a bit too steep at the mo. So will it take the heat and make the pipe last longer? Thanks and Happy new year.....

don't think it would work, as you would end up with the zinc coating going inside and destroying the sound deadening material.

better bet is to spray it with lots of high temp paint, then bake it in a large oven (maybe worth talking to a local bodyshop and slipping them £5 to put it in the corner of a paint oven for a few hours)

better bet is to spray it with lots of high temp paint, then bake it in a large oven (maybe worth talking to a local bodyshop and slipping them £5 to put it in the corner of a paint oven for a few hours)

If you could get the paint inside. An exhaust usually rots from the inside out as an engine makes sulphur dioxide which mixes with the water which the engine also makes and forms sulphuric acid on the inside of the pipe.

I think that many exhausts are made from some zinc coated material anyway, ever noticed how they always seem to rust from a welded joint?

Chris

If you could get the paint inside. An exhaust usually rots from the inside out as an engine makes sulphur dioxide which mixes with the water which the engine also makes and forms sulphuric acid on the inside of the pipe.

I think that many exhausts are made from some zinc coated material anyway, ever noticed how they always seem to rust from a welded joint?

Chris

Adding to this,

My experience is that the pipe through the middle of the silencer has perforations then the box is welded adound it. this is structuraly sound until the perforations rust through leaving the welds maintaining the structural integrety where the leverage on the welds is very high due to gravity.

Most of my exhaust boxes have died whilst the weld and the box metal is still solid, it failed due to a fracture cuased by stress.

The life could be rextended if the box has external trangulation webs from the box to the pipe to reduce the stress after the inner pipe has weakened.

Marc.

Thanks for your input.........I had thought about painting it. I thought the zinc coating would last even longer. It's just a pipe no silencer it runs from just in front of the rear axle to the end.....The finishing tip has rusted off and there is a rust hole just by the welded on joining flange........

why not get some one to make you a stainless system up cost on a car (mk2 golf) a few moons ago how ever i wanted it built was £180 and £250 for the manifold well worth the money

an great job done by power flow altho you may be able get it made else were

dave

I remember years ago seeing something in practical classics, or similar, about making your exhaust last longer, and it involved drilling a TINY hole in your silencer boxes at their lowest points, thus expelling excess moisture from short trips, by gravity dripping. Not sure its legal nowdays tho, mot?