wheel spacers

dave t

Hi defender dave

Are the wheels just on back to front, or have the centres been cut out and rewelded?

What size tyres do they run and do the arches need extended?

I got a 30mm spacer set on my Disco 300 TDi & the drive changes for the better.

I have 235 x 16 tyres on it & they still fit under the arches . . . . .

HOWEVER

If you are goung to go on anything rougher than a road, you will need to increase ride height by 50mm with heavy duty springs, so the tyres don't crash into the arches.

ALSO

for the sake of an afternoons work, strongly suggest you strip & regrease hubs + a new set of seals, as the extensions will put some extra strain on the bearings.

ALSO

using a stanley blade, clean the old paint, crud, rust from the hub & rear of the wheel mating surfaces to ensure the extension does not run off-centre.

When I first fitted my set, one front wheel developed a dreadfull wheel wobble due to crud trapped behind the spacer - carp removed - problem solved.

With 30mm spacers fitted, the ride becomes more posative, cornering is better & my Disco starts to handle like a rear wheel drive vehicle, as the rear will step out first if pushed hard on slimey corners too fast.

The turning circle will improve a lot as well.

We got a standard Disco & mine with tricked up suspension & Extentions. The drive is so much better in mine.

For my money I'd fit spacers to every Disco I'd buy from now on as soon as I could afford it.

I used Bearmach +40mm springs & Pro-comp 9000 shockers & very impressed for a budget suspn kit.

Filthy

I got a 30mm spacer set on my Disco 300 TDi & the drive changes for the better.

I have 235 x 16 tyres on it & they still fit under the arches . . . . .

HOWEVER

If you are goung to go on anything rougher than a road, you will need to increase ride height by 50mm with heavy duty springs, so the tyres don't crash into the arches.

ALSO

for the sake of an afternoons work, strongly suggest you strip & regrease hubs + a new set of seals, as the extensions will put some extra strain on the bearings.

ALSO

using a stanley blade, clean the old paint, crud, rust from the hub & rear of the wheel mating surfaces to ensure the extension does not run off-centre.

When I first fitted my set, one front wheel developed a dreadfull wheel wobble due to crud trapped behind the spacer - carp removed - problem solved.

With 30mm spacers fitted, the ride becomes more posative, cornering is better & my Disco starts to handle like a rear wheel drive vehicle, as the rear will step out first if pushed hard on slimey corners too fast.

The turning circle will improve a lot as well.

We got a standard Disco & mine with tricked up suspension & Extentions. The drive is so much better in mine.

For my money I'd fit spacers to every Disco I'd buy from now on as soon as I could afford it.

I used Bearmach +40mm springs & Pro-comp 9000 shockers & very impressed for a budget suspn kit.

Filthy

Thats good info, thanks mate

Dave

Hi Mate, if dave t doesnt go for them I may be interested depending on price :) looking for a set for my 90.

Cheers

Ben

I have a set of TUV approved, solid alloy 30mm spacers by scorpion racing sat in my garage waiting to be put on ebay. If you want em, make me an offer. They were £260 new.

Stu.

I have a set of TUV approved, solid alloy 30mm spacers by scorpion racing sat in my garage waiting to be put on ebay. If you want em, make me an offer. They were £260 new.

Stu.

Any chance you can post a photo of the TUV mark/number on them ?

Thanks Stu, it was part of a discussion about a proposed MSA rule for 2010. I asked how a scrutineer could tell if a spacer was TUV approved and was told there would be an approval mark stamped on it... was wondering what the mark would look like "in the flesh".

The current limit for spacers in MSA competition is 25mm but there is a proposal to allow wider spacers providing they are TUV approved. If yours are genuinely TUV approved and don't have a mark it makes the new proposed rule impossible to apply.