winch mounting

hoarebag

Possibly a stupid question but what would stop you mounting a low line winch at 90deg to it's usual mounting? I.E. The feet would be on the front face of the bumber a la warn 8724. Would this work?

That's exactly how the Warn M10000 is mounted in my ARB Winch Bumper

post-148-1232408167_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm guessing the people who have mounted the winch like an 8274 have cut the centre section of the rear crossmember out and added a winch tray so that the winch is bolted up against a single piece of plate like the 8274.

If you were keeping the crossmember* standard and having a tubed hole for the winch line to run through onto the fairlead how would you go about mounting the winch? As the Superwinch EP9 is designed so that the nuts are semi captive and the bolts go through the winch tray/plate into the winch.

*When I say standard I'm making my own close to the original design but with no holes and are just getting ideas of the best way to mount the winch/design my crossmember.

So if anyones got any pictures that will be great.

Thanks

Steve

If I was putting a rear winch onto a rear cross member I would replace the LR cross member with a piece of 100 x 150 x 5 box. You can taper the ends to give the same LR profile.

I would then drill and tube the winch mounting holes and a fairlead opening.

Lastly I would add a bolt on skid plate to protect the winch from below.

However, if all you want is a below floor rear winch I would do as White90 and others have done and mount the winch to a rear tank guard that is bolted into the existing LR chassis mounts and then simply cut a slot in the LR crossmember.

Long bolts - yep.

Fairlead bolts - depends on geometry but there is no reason why they can't go right through too, but from front to back so only the head is near the rope. to minimise the chance of the rope catching the head I would use dome headed bolts.

You could of course save a lot of hassle and spend a small fortune on a custom made winch cross member..... Whilst I haven't mounted my rear winch to my rear cross member, I did replace the LR one with a piece of box. Cost me about £30. :) Pictures are HERE

Mine as Bish suggests was welded onto the Southdown rear detachable tow pack.

Maurice welded it up for me way back.

there are two fairleads one on the winch and one on the rear cross member, if/when that needs replacing I will copy Bish's example of a rear x member

and sort the winch to suit that.